A 1938 Hiawatha named Orange Peel

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Whoot just came back from METAL Supermarkets (open to the public) and got a nice 3'X2' sheet of 16g steel for $13 or $14.36 with tax. Key here folks is to ask for scrap. In doing this I did not pay $10 or more for a cut off full sheet.

In two days on Sunday I will have time to fab the tank. Still missing is a gas petcock. Where to buy one.... wonder locally where on a Saturday.. before work. Humm.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
LabRat,
Just have to love the Metal Supermarket. Wish I had found out about the cut off section before I was buying the full lengths. At our local one they call the scrap ends, crops.

Steve.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
dont forget to cap the ends on your motor and jackshaft. i had a 66 vw named orange peel too, first car i painted orange and the finnish by the same name. thick paint though.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
make sure that front fender is their to stay. and i dont know what kind of brakes your using but it looks to be a candidate for a jackshaft disk. i really like the way your going with this bike. dennis

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about putting a couple small bolts through to hold them while filling.

Some use pipe cap and and a short nipple.

A lot use brass garden hose cap and conector and shoder them in.

Love your bike looken awesome............Curt

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
want a fancy strap for your tank? how about leather straps with brass hardware holding them on?
Straps and brass hardware sounds of intrest. Ive already purchased blind bungs for the tank to hold the bolts for the tank. What I do not have are any hangers.

I am actively searching for some mounting hardware. Whats this stuff you are tempting me with? What about this brass hardware?

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Now there is a side story to the raw cut metal shown here in the blue (cheaply priced) HF vise. There is even a side story to that as well.

Anyone reading this thread knows about Rat Lab's and the local cop/s. So Sledge and I are trying to comply. And for the record I seriously do not wish to be shot building a motorized bicycle. And Secondly the cop as mentioned above (last week on Sunday) was on duty. I said hi to him early in the day returning by foot from a beer run.

By the time we got to the cutting part of the steel with the jig saw..... It was already ten till 10 and Sunday nite. Sledge is by trade skilled in woodworking. He got on the saw and I did all I could to hold the sheet pressed hard to the counter. We cut as fast as the saw would allow. Total cutting time for all parts. Nine minutes!

Seen here hand filing the sidesof the tank to be exactly equal.

Attachments

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Well I was trying to get the tank done when again it was the Cop/s! Yes thats right two weeks in a row now! Second time this month. While working on project Orange Peel the cops!

This time the Officer identified himself and requested I open up. I said, "No!" "Go to the front door" And he drove his car to the front of the house where I greeted him. "Sup?" and the usual noise complait was served and he left. So here is how far I got while not shot!

Attachments

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ok, so I was not happy when I discovered in my haste I had not measured the parts before I welded them up. Not shown above is the tank not fitting in the hole? Solution cut off the bottom. Cut a new one Weld in a new bottom.
The fuel bung was heated and fell out to be reused. I stepped back and let Sledge cut it off. He is much more adapting at the cutoff tool than me.

It fits!!!

Needs paint! Hum about the welds. Grind or not to Grind.... Next time I will weld on the inside.... Readers keep in mind first time to make anything more than an exhaust. And it holds water! Now I need to go measure the amount....

Also, Sledge and I both purchased from the cut off bin additional sheet steel so I would expect to see more tanks out of he and I both.

Still have to obtain a fuel petcock and ... ?

Attachments

Last edited: