New in-frame chainsaw build

GoldenMotor.com

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Well i know i've have not given any update progress lately because i have had nothing to say. My job kept me running for a long time and i didn't get anything done at all. Looks like i'll have a little time free now. The only thing i could have said is that i ran into snag after snag. Such as the bicycle frame i had planned on using would not work. The saw had to go in for new crank, bearings, seals, piston and rings.
Things are now back on track again. Found a frame that will work, Sick bike Parts seems to be restocked with parts i need. Now i just need to get at it. Here's a picture of the bike i just bought from kijiji. Will post more pictures soon of the work i'm doing. The date stamp doesn't mean anything i used the photo from kijiji until i can figure out my new camera. May even be able to get a video or two out now. Finally got decent high speed internet out here in the sticks

Attachments

Last edited:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Yes i am. I checked already to see if the saw would fit. It will. May be slightly tricky to mount the jackshafts, but i think i can do it.

Last edited:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Before i go any further. This build is dedicated to my good friend and co-worker who passed away on Jan. 19 of stomach cancer. A build of this sort was on his list of projects to do but it never got completed. R.I.P. Brian. You deserve your rest.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
BLESS you for dedicateing to your friend. Terible cancer,I have lost some relitves to it.
How about a round tank out back behind the seat? Don't know what else you would do other then some on the handle bars,or a custome one to fit the top bar..........Curt

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
The tank under the seat sounds like a really good idea curtisfox. Obviously i hadn't thought of it either. Will also make gravity feed a little easier. Although gravity feed is not as big of a deal with this type of carb. But will make priming the fuel system much quicker and easier. Thanks for the kind words. My friend was a good man and didn't deserve what happened to him.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Man this new frame is beginning to get on my nerves. The engine fits nice and snug, but no overly tight. The problem is that by the time i'm done everything is going to be so wide. I 'm just glad no one has said "I told you so". I guess i should stop moaning and get to it though. The bike is pretty perfect otherwise. Hopefully this weekend i'll get some serious work done. Finish mounting the engine and get the jackshaft mounted.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Norm... "by the time i'm done everything is going to be so wide. I 'm just glad no one has said "I told you so".

lol r u kidding???? I'm watching to see how ur gonna do it! :)

I'm in the middle of a rack mount FD trimmer power, have 2 or three chainsaws on standby for the axe, AND I have a ryobi 4 cycle I would like to find a right-angle drive for so I can mount it in-frame... I been looking at 77 skilsaws, RA drills, grinders... trying to find something I can afford that might hold up for this application !

Fun stuff, isn't it??? :)

Best
rc

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I'm in the middle of a rack mount FD trimmer power, have 2 or three chainsaws on standby for the axe, AND I have a ryobi 4 cycle I would like to find a right-angle drive for so I can mount it in-frame... I been looking at 77 skilsaws, RA drills, grinders... trying to find something I can afford that might hold up for this application !

I have some they came off lawn mower decks. They were made so that there was a shaft in between them and the deck had two gear boxes one left and one right. They are about3" cube with safts comeing out. If you can't find one let me know..........Curt

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Sounds like they were used for the self-propelled mowers. Or were they from lawn tractor decks? If there what i'm thinking of, there should be a very good gear reduction. How much i'm not sure. And you know something along that line may just solve my little problem. Only i wouldn't want it to be right angled. Thanks for the idea curtisfox. I am now very glad i joined this forum, because i can't think of everything obviously.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Why didn't I think of that? I have goten so many off these fourms.
Yes it off riders or lawn tractors. But I think they are 1 to 1 ratio they get the reduction form the belts that drive them.............Curt

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Doesn't really matter if they're gear reduced or not. You planted an idea in my head. My local Princess Auto carries a wide selection of gear reduction boxes. In almost any configuration possible and at good prices. Saves a lot of hassle mucking around with jackshafts which add more weight and parasites. That way all i have to do is put on a gearbox and run to the freewheel on the crank arms.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
NormO

Would you position your engine crankshaft in line with the bike frame ? That would solve the width issue.

The gear box may change shaft rotation and require left side drive. Interesting idea.

Ron ..cvlt1

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
It's not so much the engine that requires the width no matter how i mount it.
It's the seat tube area that causes the problem. Where the shock runs through are two very wide frame supports c-shaped. Whatever i do chains, belts have to clear those supports. I can't cut them off which i'd like to do, or the frame would buckle. I also know that aluminum can be welded, but not by me. I don't mind having to add one jackshaft to get the drive side back to the right if that's all i have to add. I hadn't thought about the reduction changing direction, i'm glad you mentioned it. These little problems that keep creeping up on me normally wouldn't bother me. Family and friends for some odd reason keep wanting constant updates on my progress. It gets on my nerves after a while. I don't know why they want constant updates. Maybe they want to steal ideas or have me build them a bike just like this one. Either one is not going to happen. I'm glad this forum is here. at least i can get fresh ideas that i may or may not think of.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'd really like to see what that ra drive looks like!
I have never messed with one before...

You wouldn't happen to have a pic, or direction to one, would you?
Tnx
rc

As in, is it small???
:)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I will take some pictures the next time I go up to the lake were I have them stashed. They are baseicly just a 3" cube with two shafts comeing out...........Curt

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thanks CF,

It sounds interesting... :)

I did look at that Huco site, and they are straight-cut gears.
I think maybe I'd better ask someone smarter than me if they will work at string trimmer rpm! lol

Seems to me that helical cut gear teeth might be required...

Anyone got ideas on this???

Best
rc