Will My Cruiser Work with an Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Sarah_Aloha

Apr 23, 2016
Hawaii
Just got a 66/80cc 2 stroke Flying Horse kit for my cruiser and I'm just now noticing that the typical engine setup is on a frame thats different than mine. Anybody have any suggestions on how to mount engine/gas tank on this kind of frame? Mahalo!

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
To run a 2 stroke in that frame, you will need to make some sort of adapter for the front engine mount. The 2 stroke engines have a front engine mount designed for a single down tube frame and you have dual front down tubes.
The rear engine mount on the 2 stroke will work fine on your frame.
If you have someone that can make the front motor mount adapter, a frame mounted engine will be cheaper.
I would probably rather get a rear rack mounted engine kit for that bike. as it is more likely to fit without having to make an adapter.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yours is a poor candidate for motorizing unless you opt for a rear 'rack mount' maybe friction drive, or you're accomplished at fabrication and welding. If the frame is aluminum that complicates it even more.

As was stated above the kit engines are designed to be mounted in a 'V' frame bicycle and preferably a men's bike. Motorizing a woman's bike is possible but it is not a bolt-on installation.

I'd look for a better bike to do your first engine installation on.

Good luck.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
You could probably use the drill thru plate that usually comes with the kit, run a bolt thru the double tubes with another plate underneath to sandwich it on there.

Biggest issue with a girl's bike is the motor sits pretty much in your lap, with no top tube to protect your, uh, sensitive areas.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I'm with bairdco, using the common plate that comes with most kits looks like it might just be a bolt on situation. If a second plate was added under the motor it would make a substantial mounting pad. The frame by the tubing size looks to be steel. Dont know if I would try it if aluminum.