Side car devoted to holding alternator and storage battery

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have always left cutting off extra material till the last moment during builds so that if it is something that might be useful I will have it already handy.

I have the little extra space that I may use the extended amount of jackshaft past a pillow bearing and bracket to drive an alternator. I know that the weight would make the bike lopsided with just the alternator alone so in operation of alternator would be parked. Maybe first try like this, but adding small side car for this idea alone maybe be something to try.

The alternator would not be of use without at least a small storage battery to get the field current for the alternator windings. I thought I could have the bike parked and have a wagon trailing behind with the battery and alternator to hook up and jump start what needs in times of need.

By the right side next to the rear wheel have some way of attaching fairly quick is what I’m thinking.

Also maybe run something not quite like the carbon arc lamps that light the sky for events, but whatever 60 amps 12 volts can do. Using an inverter for 120 volts, I have a bunch of old movie projectors that have 500 watt lamps and the lens will make a nice beam.

Forget drive in movies; bring the drive in to the location on request!

MT

Dual jackshafts near finishing with belts to line up on them.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=379926#post379926

Attachments

Last edited:

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
i will be following closely,

what will your sidecar's body be made with?

maybe a popcorn popper aswell?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Pocdragon,

I was thinking minimal just a metal frame and a platform..... but the projector, popcorn popper, the inverter to get 120vac are less important than just the 60amp 12vdc.

I have to search out what is involved with possibly getting an arc lamp from scrounged parts. Will low dc volts work with high amps, so direct from the battery attached to alternator OK?

Right now I have to get a place I can work on my project and am stalled a bit. I did however pick up a good size steel sheet metal to fabricate cover for fast moving large spoked pulley and belts for safety. I didn't mind with the smaller pulleys, but with the mass of even a 10inch aluminum pulley moving at a fast rate and all the centrifugal force, if something broke and was free to fly off, dang!

Hey, for laughs I have heard of cooking in the heat of an automobile engine stuff wrapped in aluminum foil, but a 3hp Briggs maybe not.

MT