what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Fondled my new motor today, a year old and it's still in it's box. The new year is coming and I want to be in the wind by the time the weather is warm again. It's time to look for a frame to stuff it into. There's a charity organization that restores old bikes and sells them on the cheap I plan to look into. An "Uber Grubee" and a Schwinn Varsity would make a killer combination I think.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Fondled my new motor today, a year old and it's still in it's box. The new year is coming and I want to be in the wind by the time the weather is warm again. It's time to look for a frame to stuff it into. There's a charity organization that restores old bikes and sells them on the cheap I plan to look into. An "Uber Grubee" and a Schwinn Varsity would make a killer combination I think.
So what is the name of this organization?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Salvation Army thrift store. Maybe Goodwill?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

Yeah,I know what you mean. There's always a lot of bikes on the back dock of our local chapter,but never any inside. When I asked if they needed someone to build the bikes up,no charge,I was told they didn't have any. At least 15 bikes in varying states of disrepair on the dock at the time. 0 inside.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

If I may jump in with a suggestion. I don't know what the Varsity is, Steel or Aluminum, But if you're using a 2 stroke you should use a steel frame. I've found (in over 60 builds) that aluminum doesn't hold up as well as steel, especially with the vibration of a 2 stroke. Aluminum might be fine for a 4 stroke. But 2 strokes tend to wreak havoc on softer aluminum frames.
Around my area theres a couple churches that do the bike build thing to make money for the church. I just bought a set of suspension forks from a guy that does the bike thing for his church. I'll bet there's about the same thing going on in almost any area you might be in. So, check the churches.
fatdaddy.usflg
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

If you were in SF Bay Area, in San Jose is:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fabers-cyclery-san-jose#query:used bicycles

Faber's Cyclery
4.0 star rating
13 reviews Rating Details

Category: Bikes [Edit]
702 S 1st St
San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 294-1314

Hours:

Sat 11 am - 5 pm

==================

I got my handle bars that had just very little if any rust, but most of the stuff if it is there a while is in the weather so you see what you like.

Lots of used stuff and parts

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Faber's Cyclery
4.0 star rating

Category: Bikes
702 S 1st St
San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 294-1314

Hours:

Sat 11 am - 5 pm

==================

I got my handle bars that had just very little if any rust, but most of the stuff if it is there a while is in the weather so you see what you like.

MT

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Faber's Cyclery
4.0 star rating

Category: Bikes [Edit]
702 S 1st St
San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 294-1314

Hours:

Sat 11 am - 5 pm

==================

MT
It's a great place to get almost anything you want, new or used. I've known Alex and Anthony for many years and they have always treated me right. You can take your Motorized right up in the yard and just start your parts search.
Anthony hasn't been around lately due to health issues, But Alex is open almost every weekend. GREAT LBS.
fatdaddy.usflg

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I fixed my torn up front basket today with some scrap angle iron. It seems 120#lbs was a bit much.

Bet that won't happen again.

I love my Harbor Freight 99$ buzzbox!

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

Sounds like fun !!!

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

It's a great place to get almost anything you want, new or used. I've known Alex and Anthony for many years and they have always treated me right. You can take your Motorized right up in the yard and just start your parts search.
Anthony hasn't been around lately due to health issues, But Alex is open almost every weekend. GREAT LBS.
fatdaddy.usflg
Dang it not in my neck of the woods... wish they were, because it looks as if they have just about anything you would need to do a build.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Well its not exactly an assemble bike yet, but I did some work on my parts today. I replaced the oil that came in my hydraulic forks and reduced the travel on the springs by about 1". They are Suzuki K10 hydraulic triple trees, and the damping is a little soft and I had worried about the bottom tree locking my tire, but with the travel reduced, the damping is a little stiffer and I don't think I'll need to worry about the bottom tree hitting the tire anymore. I also put the headlight brackets back on. I changed the oil in my 98cc engine and removed the pullstart cover for painting.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

I did a leak-check on the tank that I dropped while I was painting it last weekend, and it seems to have passed. I'll need to clean the inside of the tank out, too. I have some 3/8" steel shot I can shake around in it, a compresser and a shop-vac and no fuel has been in it yet, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I finally had enough time and energy to sand down the dirty tank and put a coat of paint on it and the small patch on the frame I'm touching up today. It could have been a lot worse, I managed to get most of the dirt off before it set in the paint right after it dropped. Surprisingly, no (apparent) dings either. I should be able to do another coat on the tank on Wednesday and have it back on track with the rest of the paintwork.

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana

Today I didn't have a lot of time to spend workin' on the bike... but I did get the aluminum ordered up for my rear sprocket adapter... I'll make sure I take plenty of pics when I start the fab work... I also decided that I'm gonna make my own headlight... I think it needs a bigger one...and dont like any of the ones I see on ebay so... I'll take pics of that too when I start it :)
Have a great Christmas everybody !

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa

tested the turn signals I bought for it and installed the flasher....little buggers works great and are bright...I'll put them on perm later.