Ghost Racer 7g from Gasbike

GoldenMotor.com

Oldkid

Jul 20, 2015
Ohio
Installed on a Schwinn High Plains mtb. About 500 miles on the odo. Great fun but a few issues. First the flange on the clutch bushing broke within the first few miles. It still worked OK so I continued to use it. At about 400 miles I took the clutch bell off and the bushing came out in two pieces. To be fair, I only soaked the thing in oil for about an hour instead of overnight. I happened to have a couple bushings so I replaced the broken one. The new one doesn't have a flange. Seems to work fine with no drag.

The engine performance is good but not great. It seems to miss sometimes and act like it wants to stall. I've moved the choke lever slightly and it helps to clear it up.

And also, the engine has developed an oil leak. It keeps my chain well lubed but leaves a teaspoon or so on the floor overnight. I planned on installing a shift kit but now I'm leaning toward a 79cc Predator. I'm spoiled now and I don't want to pedal on the steeper hills.

Just a heads up for anyone considering a ghost racer 7g.

Does anyone know if the 7g transmission will work with the Predator engine?

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
I'm running a 48 tooth rear sprocket with the 7G set up. Gets up the hill okay. But I'm big. I don't want to blow the motor. I only have about 5 miles on mine. So I can't answer any questions with any cred. But I'm really interested in whether or not I can run the 79cc... or any other bigger displacement motor... with the 7G trans, as well.

Oldkid

Jul 20, 2015
Ohio
Thanks for the feedback. Rode about 30 miles today. All good. I took the crankcase breather tube out of the air cleaner box. The engine didn't hesitate at all. So I installed a small catch container (old pill bottle) and routed the breather tube into it.

Hope you lock-tighted all your fasteners because they will come loose.

Anyhow, my goal is to make my bike reliable transportation. I don't want to be concerned about possible failures when I'm out in the country smelling the honeysuckle and taking in the beauty of the ride. ☺

I'm running a 44 tooth rear sprocket. That gets me a level top speed of 25mph but like I said, I have to pedal more than I'd like. Especially since I want to pull a trailer eventually.

I don't want to go any faster than I do now. I just need some more pulling power, preferably while staying legal. So have fun and stay safe on your GR. Later.