ATV 50cc Full Auto on a stretch!

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Finally made a little headway with my project. Thought I would post a few pics before I get too far along. I normally forget to take pics along the way! I had to make a jackshaft or mount the engine off center. I chose the jackshaft, gives me a little more options for gearing and the engine always looks better centered, to me. I am not sure how well this is gonna work, but we'll know soon enough. I have the jackshaft mounted, TSC chain tensioners mounted, engine mounted, and working on fabricating the brackets for the rectifier, starter relay, cdi, ignition coil, and battery. This engine is electric start only. Not sure how I like that yet. I chose the smallest battery I could find in Autozone. I'm sure that if the engine is cold natured and hard to start, I will kill the battery fairly quick, but I wanted to keep it as small as possible. I made the exhaust from 3/4 conduit and parts from a dirt bike exhaust system. I had to fab the intake because of the lack of height between the engine and the frame. The engine cost $189. That was with the cdi and carb. I had to purchase the other parts seperate, but they didn't cost that much. I am very anxious to get this going, but I'm trying to pace myself and do it right the first time. I normally forget that too after I get into it a little! I plan on getting everything fabbed and mounted to give it a test run before painting and detailing too much. I am really concerned with braking. This engine weighs a little more than the standard kit engine. I have a freewheel on the final drive sprocket. I am thinking of removing that if the brakes aren't quite enough. .shft.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thats looking sweet civlized . I will be following this one really cool but nows its done it for me I wanna do another build! LOL..

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I got the brackets fabbed and mounted for all the misc. parts. Gave it a crank to tinker with the carb. I think this is going to be the smoothest running engine yet! There are no rubber pads between the engine and the mount. It is a complete rigid mount and very, very smooth. I will probably get the wires tied up enough for a test spin this weekend. It is supposed to snow here in Alabama. Guess I'll find out just how important this is to me, if it does snow. Maybe I can use it for the crazy, just before snow, milk and bread run that everybody around here makes! I have never understood that.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Thanks camlifter, no gears. Fully automatic, as far as shifting anyway. I am not sure about the internals. I have never owned an engine like this that was automatic. I don't know what makes it tick.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
what make of frame is that ???
I forgot to ask last post ;)
I really want to do a stretch, and am comparing frames :)
with that much weight, I would be thinking about front suspension to help with the stress to the frame

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Hey Bill, it is a Micargi Mustang. It has a springer front fork. Maybe not as good as gas filled shocks, but better than nothing. I have been contemplating adding a swing arm style suspension for the rear. Kind of like a mountain bike. I've been riding this one for a while and it is a very comfortable bike. More like a motorcycle than a bicycle as far as body position when riding. I have really enjoyed this one. I'm not sure if it is worth it to change up the frame to make a rear suspension, haven't decided yet. It seems like I read somewhere that welds didn't hold up on them very well, but I haven't had any problems, so far. Good luck with your project! I like this style much better than the normal bike.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
OK guys, I got the first test ride done today. HOLY CRAP!!!!! This thing is amazing. I can't believe that this is a 50cc engine. I smoked the rectifier. Don't know how that happened. I will be changing the gearing. Too much low end and it will do a solid 40mph as is and not quite WOT. Probably will be changing the freewheel to a fixed gear also. It will take off going uphill without pedaling as if you were on a 30degree decline, no sweat. I think I might have just found the ticket that I've been looking for.
brnot

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Very cool glad its working! That thing sounds like a real hoot. Now I want one! Good work civlized. Thanks for sharing!

Dec 7, 2009
EastCoast USA
Civilized, you are the man finally got my 110cc from Vince in PA, and it's being installed on a Stretch Cruiser. It's a stretch-cruiser frame by Greenline that I'm using for this build, frame is a lil different than ur's but motor fits. I think these 4-strokes are gonna become popular for the stretch cruiser builders.

ECCCMB.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
EastCoast USA
Civilized, almost forgot my 110cc is fully automatic no clutch just release the throttle and shift plus it's electric start to boot, I can run lights everything... not bad 110cc motors from Vince, start at the low price of $299.00 and can be modified up to 192cc don't need that much hp though...

ECCCMB.

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Thanks ECCMB, I think they might if people go through the work to try it. I must admit that it was a little more difficult, and I'm not quite done, but it seems to be worth it. That 110cc is gonna scream!

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Cool! Just read your second post. I smoked the rectifier/voltage regulator on the first ride. I have ordered a couple more. Don't know if I wired it wrong or what. Do you have a schematic for yours that you could share? It's only 4 wires. I don't think I did it wrong, but stranger things have happened.