Alternative Fuel/Drive Motorization?

GoldenMotor.com

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Its expensive,but StatonInc sells 20" & 26" rear wheels with freewheel threads on both sides. Before someone says that its just a 'flip flop hub',it has left hand threads on the motor drive side. That way,when yoy pedal,the motor side freewheels. This means no drag.

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/products/List_of_Pre_Made_Wheels-1138-0.html

It says pre made wheels,but that's a lie. You have to add the proper hub to the rim.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Thanks again for the info, Ricks. I'm certainly interested in refining/running alcohol fuel at some point and will be looking into it more in-depth as time goes on. You mentioned needing a different air/fuel mixture in colder climates, but from what I understand the issue is with the flashpoint of the fuel itself... it seems anything under 62 degrees ambient creates difficulties igniting alcohol fuel at the "normal" compression found in a small engine. Roughly half of my riding takes place in conditions below 62 degrees. The majority of people online suggest denaturing alcohol fuel with roughly 5% gasoline for both legality sake and the fact that it'll lower the temperature requirement - but only by about 5 degrees. I'd need closer to 20. An alcohol engine would be great to swap-in during a month or two in the summer though and I absolutely adore the DIY fuel creation.

I actually just learned of gasifiers myself about 6 months ago via some survivalist thing on TV. Thanks for reminding me of this! While I don't think it would be practical in this particular instance (as it tends to greatly reduce engine life) it's outside-the-box thinking in this fashion that this thread was meant for! Keep 'em coming!

I was reading up on electric drives and saw an interesting kit mentioned. Rather than the axle being used to drive a wheel, the idea was that the axle was stationary and the rotating motor casing itself was implemented as a friction drive. There's a few reasons I'm not interested in traditional electric drives (mainly the super heavy weight), but this seemed like a rather innovative implementation and got me wondering about the possibility of turning an entire wheel into a motor.
Ive raced karts in 40* weather and use my truck year round