Everything... Just, everything...

GoldenMotor.com

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Frustration levels are peaking.

I've only got a few steps left to go on finishing my first build and attempting to run the engine, but I've hit a pretty big snag.

Problem #1: After installing the rear sprocket and replacing the rear wheel, the derailleur no longer wants to work right. While my shift lever indicates 1st, I'm actually in 3rd. It will not shift back down to 2 or 1. It also seems like the chain has a huge tendency to jump off the main sprocket (pedal gear? I'm not an avid cyclist, I'm not 100% on terms). I had to walk away from the bike before I started beating things with a hammer out of frustration.

Problem #2: The sprocket attached to the engine itself doesn't seem to want to spin freely while the clutch is applied. It spins, but takes considerably more effort than I believe it should. I'm hoping liberal lubrication or a good greasing should resolve this issue?

I'm really hoping to get this running and tuned by the end of the week, but it's starting to feel like an impossible goal!

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am not very adept at nomenclature, but there are two limiter screws on a deraulier that allow the parts to move a certain amount, may just need to adjust them. One is for one end of travel, the other for the other limit.

On the other problem, you may just need to pull up tighter on the cable before you set the end clamp (ferrel?)

They don't pedal REAL easy anyway.
Good luck.

P.S., if you do get out the hammer, take pictures when you are done. ;)

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
The small sprocket usually doesn't spin easily. Have you tried riding your bike and peddling with it? If your motor is new, it will be a little more difficult to peddle but not too bad. Once the engine has kicked in, it should work just fine.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I once ran out of gas and peddled home from about 7 miles out, the worst part was holding the clutch in....I didn't have a locking lever.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I wished I'd have realized how quick and easy it was to pop off the master link and put the chain in my tool bag... :)

I just never thought of it.

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Thanks guys! Problems: SOLVED.

A little lube on the sprocket and moving the cable-stud up worked like a charm.

As for the derailleur, well... It turns out my visiting father was futzing with it before I got the rear wheel back on. I had the derailleur unbolted from the frame and he put it back on wrong...

But regardless, crises averted. She's ALL together now. I'm literally just running inside to double-check the wiring diagram for the coil and killswitch. Tomorrow she'll be gassed up and I will attempt to tame my very own China Girl.

It's amazing to feel so relieved about getting her together, and yet so tense about starting her up...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just make sure, if you're using one, that the chain tensioner can't move or it'll end up in your spokes. That will ruin your day as well as your rear wheel.
Use the Google Search, type in 'chain tensioner' http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...44#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=chain tensioner&gsc.page=1 and you'll have plenty to read on the subject. It is the one thing above all that has caused more problems for the first time builder.
Good luck and have fun.
Tom

CallMePavz

Jun 16, 2012
ESVA
Thanks for the info, guys! But she's ready for a test run.

Actually, after my previous post, I ran into another MAJOR glitch. Hadn't attached the throttle cable to the carb, and that entire process was missing from the instructions! Thankfully I managed. Not sure how, since I don't have any engine experience, but she's all together.

Half the point of buying this kit was to be a learning experience, and it's certainly been one!

Posting a picture over in my thread, on the cruiser forum!

Thanks again, all!