Cable Management

GoldenMotor.com

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
My motorized bike is complete for the moment. But I am running into a bit of a small problem. I have tons of cables at the front of my bike I am thinking of cutting them down. Does anyone have any pointers? I specifically want to cut the cable housing down and then cut the cable as well. Does anyone see any drawbacks? I'm trying to make it less cluttered.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Simply keep in mind that the sharper the bends in your cables the more resistance you'll impose on the moving parts they operate. Long, sweeping curves induce less friction on the cable than tight bends. Always lubricate the cables inside their housings and try to keep the bends as slight as possible. Use zip-ties only on straight runs to hold cables snug against frame members but not to unnecessarily sharpen the bends in the cables.
Dual pull brake levers are one way to eliminate one cable. This puts both brake cables being operated by one handlebar lever.
Another option, if you've retained the front derailer/shifter, is to do away with it. Motorized bicycles have little use for multiple chain ring gear changers. Select one sprocket and use it. That will get rid of one more cable.
Tom

Last edited:

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
Simply keep in mind that the sharper the bends in your cables the more resistance you'll impose on the moving parts they operate. Long, sweeping curves induce less friction on the cable than tight bends. Always lubricate the cables inside their housings and try to keep the bends as slight as possible. Use zip-ties only on straight runs to hold cables snug against frame members but not to unnecessarily sharpen the bends in the cables.
Dual pull brake levers are one way to eliminate one cable. This puts both brake cables being operated by one handlebar lever.
Another option, if you've retained the front derailer/shifter, is to do away with it. Motorized bicycles have little use for multiple chain ring gear changers. Select one sprocket and use it. That will get rid of one more cable.
Tom
I have a dual brake lever but it uses two cables for two brakes. I have a shift kit so I need to use the back derailleur. But if I cut down the cables keeping in mind what you said, I think it would be possible.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I had a brain slump. What the heck was I thinking when I said a dual pull lever would eliminate one cable? Chalk one up for brain cell loss due to...the 70s. :)
I had cleaning up the handlebars in mind when I said that. Sorry.
Also I took a better/closer look at your bike and saw the shift kit. Missed that on the first go round. Nice looking build by the way.
You could definitely shorten the cables for a cleaner look. Brakes and shifter will be a no brainer, the throttle takes a little more work. There's a thread here on how to do it. I'll look for it and edit this with the link.
Good luck.
Tom

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I had a brain slump. What the heck was I thinking when I said a dual pull lever would eliminate one cable? Chalk one up for brain cell loss due to...the 70s. :)
I had cleaning up the handlebars in mind when I said that. Sorry.
Also I took a better/closer look at your bike and saw the shift kit. Missed that on the first go round. Nice looking build by the way.
You could definitely shorten the cables for a cleaner look. Brakes and shifter will be a no brainer, the throttle takes a little more work. There's a thread here on how to do it. I'll look for it and edit this with the link.
Good luck.
Tom
As far as cutting the cable housing, just get a cable cutter and snip it off and replace the end caps? I need to take about 5 inches off each cable.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
My motorized bike is complete for the moment. But I am running into a bit of a small problem. I have tons of cables at the front of my bike I am thinking of cutting them down. Does anyone have any pointers? I specifically want to cut the cable housing down and then cut the cable as well. Does anyone see any drawbacks? I'm trying to make it less cluttered.
One way i cleaned up my cables was to get a cable sheath and run the throttle cable and kill switch wire together. then tape the ends, it makes the 2 cables look like one, and cleans up the whole look very well.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
You can go to the local auto store and get some 1/2'' wire cover and conceal the cables inside; then route it how you like