Great power increase for very little money

GoldenMotor.com

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey guys, I thought I'd just quickly share the mods Ive done to my new build so far since they have netted me some great benifets! At the moment, money has been a limiting factor, but that still doesnt change the fact that I love to tinker and get the most out of my setup (66cc HT).

Here it is...
-Upgraded spark plug to NGK BR7HS (much cooler than stock)
-Upgraded 7mm plug wire
-Port matched the factory intake manifold pipe and gasket
-Port matched the Exhaust pipe and gasket
-Shortened my intake manifold pipe by 3/4"
-Heat wrapped the exhaust header
-Took apart the factory muffler (center bolt style) and cut off the 1/2" pipe
-Drilled two 3/8" holes in muffler cap as well as internal baffle
-Made a velocity stack for my intake with a nylon (womens tight) filter
-Soldered all electrical connections
-Moved my c-clip on the carb needle down one notch (richer mix)

So far these mods have cost me under $20 but have truly made a world of difference (enough so to compel me to tell others about it!) both in power throughout the rpm range, top speed, and most importantly in how smooth my engine runs. I guess its just the right combo of small upgrades (more air in, more air out, and slightly more fuel to match) that just work well together.

One thing I will say to anyone performing these or any mods to their setup is that EVERY motor is different and will react slightly different to each mod so do this one step at a time and at your own risk. Also, any time you modify your intake and exhaust to upgrade flow, remeber that you will also increase sound output. Anyways just thought I'd share a few things you can do for very little money to help your bike run better and get a lil more power!
-Dan

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
All mods sound like my build list! Good to hear that all of them work well together. Only add I have will be the SBP xchamber.

It'll be tough not to pull the kit out and throw it on the bike as soon as I get it. But the improvements of a few nights work should be well worth it and I'll be able to go through everything before it's all mounted up.

Last edited:

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
MotorNut, cutting the tube off certainly did add some volume.....I would say comparable to an expansion chamber or aftermarket exhaust, however it sounds WAY deeper and more throaty now (much better IMO) but I tried it without the cap at all and it was rediculous so its nothing like that. To be honest its one of those things that by itself it prob wouldnt do much for performance but just make it sound better, but with the better flowing intakje and moving the c-clip to richen the mix a bit, it definately helped.

And Flatblack, I am puchasing an SPB exp. chamber on my next payday as well, this was just to tide me over and more of an experiment..... I know the feeling of excitement and just wanting to toss the kit on to try it out, but you're completely right that a night's (actually more like a copuple hours) worth of work will make a world of dfifference and that way you wont be backtracking by removing parts that youve already installed. Stoked to see your build.!!
-Dan

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Just got confirmation that my kit has shipped! Should be here mid next week! Now I need to clean the garage an get ready for the hustle!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I've pretty much got all of this sorted now on my build as well. I also have the Puch head fitted but need to pick up some threaded rod, nuts and washers for head studs today. The SBP is fitted and was quite the chore to route around the tight frame/peddle combo of the Cranbrook.

Waiting on my Dx RT carb now. I'd love to see a pic of the velocity stack you built. Have an idea for one on mine as well.

lamasbla

Jun 19, 2011
WI
Hey guys, I thought I'd just quickly share the mods Ive done to my new build so far since they have netted me some great benifets! At the moment, money has been a limiting factor, but that still doesnt change the fact that I love to tinker and get the most out of my setup (66cc HT).

Here it is...
-Upgraded spark plug to NGK BR7HS (much cooler than stock)
-Upgraded 7mm plug wire
-Port matched the factory intake manifold pipe and gasket
-Port matched the Exhaust pipe and gasket
-Shortened my intake manifold pipe by 3/4"
-Heat wrapped the exhaust header
-Took apart the factory muffler (center bolt style) and cut off the 1/2" pipe
-Drilled two 3/8" holes in muffler cap as well as internal baffle
-Made a velocity stack for my intake with a nylon (womens tight) filter
-Soldered all electrical connections
-Moved my c-clip on the carb needle down one notch (richer mix)

So far these mods have cost me under $20 but have truly made a world of difference (enough so to compel me to tell others about it!) both in power throughout the rpm range, top speed, and most importantly in how smooth my engine runs. I guess its just the right combo of small upgrades (more air in, more air out, and slightly more fuel to match) that just work well together.

One thing I will say to anyone performing these or any mods to their setup is that EVERY motor is different and will react slightly different to each mod so do this one step at a time and at your own risk. Also, any time you modify your intake and exhaust to upgrade flow, remeber that you will also increase sound output. Anyways just thought I'd share a few things you can do for very little money to help your bike run better and get a lil more power!
-Dan
You've been such a help buddy. I just ordered my NGK BR7HS spark plug hoping for some good results. Currently im looking for the spark plug wire upgrade if you could send me a link to the right wire that would be awesome.
Also how well did heat wraping the manifold work for you, and do you have a picture of the intake you are refering to thank you so much.

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey Lam, sorry about the late reply.

Im glad that info has helped you! I dont have a particular link for the plug wire, but what you can do is go to any automotive parts store and get standard automotive plug wire, which most places sell by the foot......The other option is to but an MSD or NGK external coil wire, as its just a single wire that would normally go from an external coil to the distributer on a car. That way you dont pay for a bunch of extra wire that you dont need.

As for heat wrapping the manifold, on these little motors it really doesnt do much for performance, but I did it cuz it looks awesome, and it hides any welds/connections in the exhaust pipe for a clean sporty look. You can get header wrap by the foot at any motorcycle shop too.

Oh and Since this post I replaced my velocity stack with the stock airbox (when I upgraded the exhaust, my motor didnt run as well with the vel. stack) so I unfortunately do not have any pics, but all I did was went to my local commercial vehicle salvage and bought an air horn from a semi, and cut the taperedc section I needed to fit the carb.
-Dan

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
what do you mean by moving the c-clip on the carb needle down a notch? i dont understand. im going to port my exhaust tomorrow and see how things run,