36V 1000W Vs 48V 1000W

GoldenMotor.com

Zenoptic

Nov 18, 2009
Knoxville,tn
what would be the bennifit of one over the other? their both 1000 watt.
I am toying with building an ebike next, just need to understand the technology better before buying stuff.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea I could never afford to do a test. you might try googling it.

I can tell you what happens if you use the same motor at higher voltage. If you over load the controller it either burns it up or causes the motor to run a heck of a lot better. Now if you go to a higher controller with the same motor, it will either damage the motor or cause it to run much better than it did with the lower volt controller but not as good as running a higher voltage through the lower voltage controller.

My experiments produced the following results. using a brushed motor with 24v rating and 24v controller it runs stock....

Up the controller to 36v with a high amp output produced a very noticeable improvement in speed and troque.

But simply add a third battery for 36 volts with a 24v controller and 24v motor produced the best results. I have no idea how much damage I am doing to the controller or motor but it seems okay. Oh yeah I also burned one controller doing this so it needs to be a heavy duty controller.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
"Ya pays your dollar and Ya takes ya chances," the man in the striped jacket and straw had shouted above the heads of the rubes.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
From what I gather after running 36 for a while on a 24 volt system I did gain speed and power then I melted it. I bought a 1000 watt plus hub and it sings along at 48 the desity of four batterys gives you a longer range since there are more cells working and 48 is a step below 52 or even rated to 60
so for my money a 1000 wat hub derive one horsepower and four batterys create 1250 or more and is safely within margin.
get 48 get 48 I run 48 on a 350 lb load and can travel up hills that others fade away on. I do need some new batterys but I have charged these ones I got used 300 times alrteady it is less strain on everything whenyou gpo 48 and you may charge them with a 2 amp scooter ccharger availabel at scooter outlets as low as 37 bucks shipped the 48 chargers never burn up or diintergrate like cheap 24s do 0r even 36 chargers do. I bought one charger and mounted it on the bike for topping off at the end of the line

Last edited:

Zenoptic

Nov 18, 2009
Knoxville,tn
thanks for the input. i am leaning toward the 48V system.
Just trying to understand it all before I start throwing money at it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The hub motor I have gets very little use so I have no real idea what is going to happen to the motor itself.

On the currie 24v motor I use on my friction drive, I have run them as high as 48v for a mile or so but went back to 36. The thirty six with a heavy duty 24v controller runs fine and I have used it for my purposes with no problems yet. I think the motor would do 48 for a few miles with no real damage and they are replaceable for very little money.

Hubs are not cheap. Mine is a motor I care nothing about. If it melts down, then I would most likely be better off time wise, since I get this urge to screw around with it now and then and waste my time on it.

I have a 36v 500 watt controller on it now, so I have to run at least 36v through it. I doubt that this controller will run more.

The 48v test I did on the curry friction drive I built was a complete success, so one day I might spring for a complete set of four sla and put them on the big trailer and bike. It might even be my spring present to myself.

To be honest I wonder how a 36v lith powered motor would compare to a 48v sla powered motor. They might turn out to be similar.

Last edited: