An innie or an outie?

GoldenMotor.com

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
Im about to start a build i have been planning for a while and the one thing i keep running up against is cost. Money isnt a problem, its saving it up and being patient. Looking at the different aspects of my build, one of the larger cost factors is my wheels. From many broken spokes in the past i learned im going to need hd wheels amd spokes. Thats fine, they arent expensive. But then i decided to do a jackshaft build as well and that go me thinking about gears and i decided to use an internal gear hub rather than the external gears. I finally settled that a 3 spd would probably be best for this. But i dont really KNOW as i have not actually run a shifter kit before. I intellectually understand the advantages of the igh chief among them being that it can shift going or stopping and that it is sealed from damage from drops or weather mostly. And for some reason in my mind it seems more druable, and less likely to suffer from derailing and problems like that than an external gearing system.
However i dont KNOW. So who here has experience with jackshafts hooked up to external gear mechs? This will be on a cruiser frame and i would most likely use a 7 spd external mech if i go that route. Also, would be using a 4stroke HS motor amd the SBP 4 stroke shifter kit. I appreciate any feedback, thanks.