Qmatic transmission questions...

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For any of you dealers or users who might know or have an opinion thanks for your input.

I've used a couple of the Qmatic transmissions and one has been in use for a number of years. Originally it was mated to a 142F four stroke, then a 99cc Predator four stroke. Now I'm contemplating more grunt power, either a 147cc 2 stroke Jacobson or a 199cc four strokeTecumseh flathead. This is for my 1950 Schwinn Panther "American Flyer" which has a canoe sidecar and could use more horsepower. Is the Qmatic suitable for a more powerful engine or is it best to stay at the hundred cc or lower mark? Speed is not the objective. Torque for pulling a heavy rig up hills is what I need.

The second question regards changing the final drive from chain to belt. According to the website of the transmission there is a conversion bell available to change the centrifugal clutch from sprocket to pulley. Emails have not been answered for some reason and I'm wondering if the bell is truly available and at what cost. I'd like to experience belt final drive and imagine that it would be something like riding a Whizzer. Have any of you done this and what is your opinion? Like it? Is it worth the trouble? I have already built a wheel from a vintage rim, rebuilt a Bendix red band hub and laced it with 10 gauge spokes. Sheave is made from a 20" bicycle wheel and measures close to a Whizzer sheave at around 16".
Thanks,
SB

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi silverbear. I believe the Q-matic is probably OK for the engines you described as long as the base plate is secured to the seat post and then the engine will have three mounting points. I don't think there would be a problem with the belt slipping. I think the Q-matic was tested extensively by the manufacturer to prove that it is plenty strong enough for engines like the HF 212 and 212's that are modified.