Old Tanaka bike bug carb fuel diaphram

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I'm working on an old Tanaka 25cc BikeBug, one of the old ones. Got it from a friend who's grandfather used to run it. It's been sitting dry for many years and I'm assuming that the fuel pump diaphram that I've read about is needing replacement, as it's not pumping fuel at all (has good compression). Does anyone have a picture of the fuel diaphram or a thread on the rebuild process? I understand it's possible to make a replacement since a few folks have said they've done it, but I haven't torn the carb apart yet so I don't entirely know what I'm looking for. I haven't worked on any fuel pump system like this before. Does the tank require a vacuum to operate or is it vented?

Rusty Bikes

Sep 13, 2015
So.Cal.
Hi mate. The info on these engines is pretty hard to find. I just bought one on eBay and I'm pretty sure I will be replacing my fuel pump diaphragms what information have you got to share? Did you buy any parts yet?
Rusty

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Sorry, I haven't put any time into this one since this post. I haven't come up with any info on the diaphrams, I'll probably be sitting on this project till winter. Been working on my house and riding my bikes that actually go. :) I'll definitely be posting when I get working on it, and will share any info I come up with.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've had several of these engines years back and when they run they are great little guys. Well made, but fussy when it comes to the fuel pump. Let it sit without running for too long and they dry up. You may be able to get the parts through misamigo here on the forum... not sure, but a pm would probably answer the question. I still have one of these motors and have thought about mounting it on an elderly 3 speed Robin Hood made in England. Yes, it is about 26CCs. Bigger is not always better. Depends on what you want. For what it is, a motor assist for a pedal bike, I think it's perfect in that you can totally disengage the drive wheel and pedal without any drag at all. And on the flats it is enough to cruise along at moderate speed without pedaling. In other words it is a nice combination of getting some exercise and also sitting back for a quiet putt putt down the road. I used to make my own rollers for them out of epoxy in both a dry weather and rainy weather version. They can also be made from skate board wheels.

The question I've had in the back of my mind is if there is a way to bypass the fuel pump problem. Why does it need a fuel pump? The gas tank being lower than the engine is why (he says without really knowing), as it is affixed to the front wheel axle. Seems like a kind of rinky dink setup to me, making things more complicated than they need to be. I've also found that many of these stock Tanaka tanks tend to rust out after forty or fifty years and need cleaning out at the least and more likely repair. Around the same time period of the bike bug there was an American made friction drive motor of similar design made in Wisconsin called "Chicken Power". I forget the name of the manufacturer, but you can find it on the net. Try "Moped Army" and you can find pictures. Anyway, the reason I mention it is that it used a gas tank which mounted to the handlebars and was made from a tin can (rubber cement can) so that it was gravity feed. Making a similar tank is simple enough to do and I wonder if having the tank above the Tanaka motor could eliminate the need for the fuel pump. Or would it require a different carburetor? Or maybe the stock one could be modified. If so, then there would no longer be a problem with dried up fuel pump parts which are no longer available through Tanaka. Might be worth looking in to, eh?

For me this is kind of on the back burner with a lot ahead of it on the to do list. I don't understand why Tanaka stopped making this motor which first came into use prior to WWII. It was wildly popular in the states for some years and was sold under different branding... Free Spirit through Sears. I see two obstacles to returning old ones to service. The first is the drive wheels which can be home made. The second is the fuel delivery problem with the diaphragm. The little motor needs three things to run. Spark, air and gasoline. If it can be made to run by gravity feed these well made little motors will keep putting right along. One of these days I'll dig mine out for a look and also dig out my manuals (owners and parts list/diagram). If someone is willing to scan and post the manuals here on the forum (perhaps as a sticky) I'd be willing to send mine for sharing. I don't have a scanner.

Please post your progress/adventure here for mutual benefit. Thanks...
SB

Last edited:

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Silverbear, I've got a scanner if you are serious about sharing the manual. I'd be happy to scan and return the original to you. Just shoot me a PM if you'd like to do that.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I looked through my stuff and found the manual for the QBM-23N model Tanaka engine. This is the one that had an amazingly ugly plastic shroud over the engine, but underneath it is the same bikebug. I gave away an engine and manual a few years ago and suspect the manual for the more streamlined version went with it. Anyway, it will suffice. I've also included the parts catalogs for both versions, shrouded and unshrouded. The blowups help figuring what is what.
I gave the carburetor assembly in the manual a quick look and from what I see I'm hopeful that the carb from a China girl engine can be made to fit. This would do away with all of the fuel pump business, I believe. I hope. I don't know, but we'll figure it out. If so, then good. If your engine has no spark and the plug is new then you can do away with the points and condenser and use a solid state module as for chain saws. About $10.00 if I remember right. Cleaning up the points might be enough, though. If you have spark, leave it alone.

You inspire me, sir! I'm going to dig out my engine soon for a look over to see what would be involved in swapping carbs. Might dig out the 3 speed Robin Hood as well to get it set up for spring riding over the long winter. Woohoo!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Was just looking at a couple pictures of my old bike with bug engine on it and see that it is the muffler which attaches to the axle. The gas tank is higher up, but still lower than the carb. Me memory has holes in it.
SB