Warped Exhaust Flange

GoldenMotor.com

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
I clamped my exhaust to a metal fence to bend it a little for clearance, but discovered that had warped my exhaust flange...

It seems that it would be beyond sanding/filing to get it flat, it was difficult to get pictures showing the damage but here it is...

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've tried grabbing it with pliers and bending as well as using a hammer, but neither did much. I'm thinking heating it up with a propane torch and pressing it against a flat surface and tapping with a hammer on the edges that are extending out.

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
you might be able to hammer that back into shape (or at least flat enough to sand it flat) but it may not be worth your time.

if you have a good striking surface to work with and the right set of hammers you might be able to do it in a couple of hours.

considering how little a new one costs you might just want to order one instead.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
If you have a good sized vise that would help a lot. Bang it one way, reposition and bang again until you get it to filing stage. If you don't have a vise then maybe use the neighbours?

But they are cheap enough to replace and not a bad idea to have a spare around if you want to experiment with drilling holes, modifying.

The good news is that your exhaust flange doesn't restrict the flow.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I would say for the average person who don't own a vise and a few ball peen hammers it's beyond help.. or that it would be much easier to just get another one since these don't cost that much. You can keep it for spare parts and if you get an expansion chamber pipe later on you can always cut out the bends from that pipe to help the performance pipe fit... I used the stock pipe as well as sections from a pocket bike header to make my first system that's in my avatar... I've moved on to a better setup now but having those extra pieces of pipe that was already bent really saved me a lot of time.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Exactly what dave said. I bent the crap out of my expansion chamber header but was able to get it back to a usable condition with a big clamp and a little time with a hammer. Still using it now. Good idea on the sanding too I ought to do that while it's off for an exhaust stud that stripped out.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Another way is take a crescent wrench to fit the flange and then twist it to shape again clamp it some how,maybe pipe clamps,some wood blocking screwed to a table,work bench......................Curt

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Well, being the average person I wasn't able to fix my muffler. I caved and spent the $55 on a VooDoo exhaust.

My plan was to keep the bike simple with stock parts until I had it running but I guess things don't always go as planned.

Wish me luck! I hope this is the last purchase I have to make to get this thing running ... (It never stops!)