51 schwinn panther re-fined

GoldenMotor.com

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
G'day to you all i have been seeing alot of recent beautiful bike builds some real amazing work and even trike's well done to you all now i once built a 51 panther 2stroker still beautiful but when i hit top speed it not feel right within meaning the fork's are shaking the hub's are wanting to throw the bearings out so i decided to build another but re-fine the problem
i love the look of the boardtrack and the pea shooter fork of the early 1918's harley davidson look so i decided to see if i could find someone to design and make my fork i was after well i did find a guy in australia with fine art and passion to bicycles here is my fork for the panther

Attachments

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
SO NOW I HAVE SEMI ASSEMBLED THE FORKS I PUT ON THE BTR BARS FROM SPORTMANS IF YOU LOOK I CUT THEM SO DONT TELL PAT IF YOU KNOW HIM I TURNED THEM INTO 4 PIECE BARS AND LOOK OK I THINK ,I ALSO HAVE WELDED THE CHAIN IDLER TENSIONER TO FRAME auflg

Attachments

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Love the fork! I'm thinking of trying my hand at a John Brain style for over the winter.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Your build is looking pretty nice, Mick! Very cool forks, too. Must be tough finding a Panther frame in Australia.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME mount that's the way all the motors should be mounted. Really like your build and every tihng you are doing..............Curt

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
g'day guy's
Glad you agree with the mount as i believe this is a very good way also as my first panther build i didnt do this.
Pat thank's for your parts once again as they are the best on the market and to find a schwinn 51 Panther in Australia well i know of two only and a 41 mead ranger but your tank didnt fit this as the lower straight bar is of the same dia as the top bar so i had to try and find another 51 panther and then see if someone would be kind enough to ship to me ...

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
g'day silverbear ,
great old vintage troxel seat but i could'nt get it seating down further on the new bike as i liked so i looked at my other bike and thought why not ...
now i have to wait a month for powder coating the new frame as i got to get another seat and wait to see where i need to weld the tag's to frame and it take's awhile for shipping but worth the wait i guess
how is you tri cycle going

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
found the wheel's i be using they are 45mm wide rim's heavy duty boardtrack look ,just waiting on them now as this will be at least 3week's to get to me
the cost of shipping is like buying two set's

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pay dearly and wait forever, eh? Thanks for asking about my tri-car. With winter coming soon to my part of the world, the tri-car has been put away until summer. I have a couple of little things I can do for it over the winter, but nothing much. I'll re-work the inside of the headlights to make them LED to run on 6 volts (what the original engine put out from the lighting coil in the magneto) and I'm in the middle of working out an air horn setup for the tri-car. On ebay I found a matching pair of early 1900's brass horns from an Austin Motor Car made in Wisconsin, USA. One didn't work and both were missing the squeeze bulbs, so they were a steal for the pair at less than $20.00 with shipping. I am going to use a small air tank to power them, having tested the idea today with my air compressor... an impressive sound, indeed! Not like a locomotive, but more like an early putt putt auto and just right for the tri-car. The brass is shining up nicely and it gives the old bear something to do in the evenings.
I have moved another bike indoors so that I can give some attention to it through the winter. It is a 1934 Elgin with a Villiars midget engine. Just yesterday I made up a hand crank starter for it which has worked out very well. I have lots of small and time consuming things to do to the build before it is roadworthy. It was begun three years ago and keeps getting put on the back burner so it is time to give the old girl some attention. It is my first experience with an SBP shift kit going to a Sturmey Archer internal hub. Getting excited about working on it again and have a few surprises along the way. No doubt it will get an air horn, too, and it is also getting a copper gas tank and copper head light. A long winter is coming, so it is best to have projects to pick from to pass the days more quickly.

Fasteddy is working on a couple of things in Vancouver for my tri-car and is making up the rear frame portion for a delta trike which also has a Villiars midget engine, this one with a foot start. Lots to look forward to next summer.

I love the old stuff and tinkering with it. Be patient with your Panther... it will be worth it!
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
found the wheel's i be using they are 45mm wide rim's heavy duty boardtrack look ,just waiting on them now as this will be at least 3week's to get to me
the cost of shipping is like buying two set's
Nice wheels were did you get them from?..............Curt