My board track engine

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Beautiful work, sir. Hats off to you, your talents and ambition. This bike will surely be a one-of-a-kind and an attention getter. Do you have plans to display/show it?
I have a friend who restores old engines and military vehicles. He attends shows around the country showing off his work. You might consider that.
Please keep us informed of the progress of this project. Many of us will be watching.

Tom

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
well I'm gonna follow the crowd on thisw one ... VERY interesting build indeed ! I'm looking at that motor thinking old Henry Ford woulda bin trying ta get you on his pay roll ! KEWL !

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Here is some pictures of my machines with description. All machines are setup and ready to work and I use them often.

1903 Brown and Sharpe #3 Horizontal mill. This mill was scrapped in a junk yard in Dunn, NC. A buddy of mine bought it and sold it to me. It came with a indexing head and everything to cut gears and splines. I had to clean it up and I repainted it many years back. I think I gave $200 for it.

Very old Rockwell drill press. I traded a 1956 Lincoln Capri for this (many years ago). The car needed restored and my buddy's thought I was crazy, but it has drill thousands of holes for me (I was making security bars for windows, each window frame contained around 30 holes).

1914 Leblonde lathe. This lathe was laying on its side in a junk yard and the man said if I was willing to put it back in operation, I could have it. The main mount for the motor was broke and had to be welded back together with nickel rod. Never be afraid to weld old cast like this, it welds much better then the new stuff.. I repainted it and have used it for many years.

My sweet little 1917 Hendey was made the second week of March and shipped to a typewriter factory in Detroit Michigan. How it ended up in North Carolina I will never know, but a fellow took it out of his shop and was going to the junk yard with it when I saved it for $200. If you ever want a old lathe that is IMO, better then a new one, buy a old Hendey..

Last edited:

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina

This is my 1936 Gorton 9j vertical mill. This is a very big mill. I can fit a engine block in it. I bought it on ebay for $150. It was set up in a factory in Maxton, NC and was on a line just for drilling holes. It was updated with all the OSHA shields. The shop foreman let me see it run before he had the electrician un-wire it. A suit and tie man came down and complained about the low price it brought, I explained that it wasn't my fault that nobody bid against me.

This is my Moody Pettibone power hacksaw. Takes a 14" blade and it's another machine that I would never choose to live without. It is very old, but I don't have much info on it. Gave $100 for it. I make the blades from a roll of bandsaw blade, it's much cheaper.

This is a fairly new addition. It is a 6 foot 25 ton Chicago brake press. It was also headed for a scrap yard and I bought it for $600. I am not sure how old 50's or 60's maybe. Wanted one for 20 years. Works great and came with over 2000 pounds of press dies.

I bought this upright band saw the same time I bought the press brake. It has really sped up productivity in my shop.. Not sure of the year also 50's or 60's maybe. Gave $200 for it.

Although machines may be old, never underestimate what you can do with them. If you get a chance to save some of this great American history, do it, you will not regret it at all.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wow. My shop is a picnic table and a vice. Is the shop for fun or is it your place of employment? It reminds me a little of a machine shop I visited a couple of years ago... got to see the machines that are able to make the machines. My grandpa was the foreman in the machine shop of Hartzog Wonder Drill in Ottumwa, Iowa. I imagine he'd have felt right at home in your shop. A lot of very smart people designed those machines... pretty amazing what they can do.
SB

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Wow. My shop is a picnic table and a vice. Is the shop for fun or is it your place of employment? It reminds me a little of a machine shop I visited a couple of years ago... got to see the machines that are able to make the machines. My grandpa was the foreman in the machine shop of Hartzog Wonder Drill in Ottumwa, Iowa. I imagine he'd have felt right at home in your shop. A lot of very smart people designed those machines... pretty amazing what they can do.
SB
I own a wrecker service and I just do repairs and builds, but it's just a personal use shop. http://www.a1towingnc.com

I posted this in my introduction, but here is a link to a youtube slide show of my last build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCjcijTtHE

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Wow! - send me a green card and marry me, I'll be faithful forever :D[/QU
For many years I have been bringing home all kinds of stuff, but never a beautiful young lady such as yourself, I am afraid we would both be in trouble. I have gotten my lovely wife to accept all of my treasures (aka junk), but I know where to draw the line as we have many guns and she is a excellent shot. LOL

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sir you are a credit to the world of machines and mechanics. Anyone who has ever turned a wrench for a living will admire you and your talents not to mention your shop.

I am a little disappointed about Intrepid Wheel Woman's offers however. I've wanted to marry her for a couple of years but I understand the thing about having a wife who might not understand. :)

Thank you for joining us here and for sharing what only gear heads will truely appreciate.

Tom