My board track engine

GoldenMotor.com

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
I wanted to build a replica board track racer, not a correct replica, but something a little different. I decided on this engine. Here is a list of what it is and what it has on it.
Quincy air compressor
shortened Oliver tractor cam
model T valves and lifters
Case SC tractor push rods (shortened)
Case DC tractor magneto mount, highly modified
model T lifters and lifter guides
Chevrolet truck front wheel bearings for cam bearings
Allis Chalmers tractor Wico magneto, with Wisconsin 1 cylinder parts
John Deere B tractor rocker arms and rocker stands
Most everything else is fabricated except the chain and sprockets.
The carb I am using is a brass schebler

All machining was done on a
1903 Brown and Sharpe horizontal mill
1914 Leblonde Lathe
1917 Hendey Lathe
1936 Gorton vertical mill
I love my old machines!!

It's not finished yet, so I will post some more photos as I get it done..

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Interesting project. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Could you post a photo that shows us the engine size?
Also what is the displacement?

Tom

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Great looking engine for sure...definitely curious on the size. But looking at your skills you won't have any problem building a frame to fit.

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
It's 206 cc little under 13 c.i. same as a 5 hp briggs. Better cam and air flow, bigger valves, overhead valve, should make 6 or 7 hp this may give an idea of the size. This is NOT the bike I am using for the build it's just an old Stelber I bought for $5.

The engine is closer then the bike to the camera so it looks a little bigger then it is. It will fill out the bike when I get it built. I didn't like the looks of the smaller engine and wanted it to look like the board track racers. The engine will also be leaning a little forward when done.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, I watched the wrecker build you posted when you introduced your self and had to find the bike build. One question, in the first picture of the engine what is the Pepsi logo for?

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Welcome to the forum, I watched the wrecker build you posted when you introduced your self and had to find the bike build. One question, in the first picture of the engine what is the Pepsi logo for?
It actually runs off Pepsi, no I run off Pepsi... There is a Pepsi can sitting on my lathe and you can see it between my rocker stands. But if I can get Pepsi to sponsor my Board track racer, I'm going pro!!!!!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I thought it was behind the motor, but after looking at it for a while I was wondering if you planed it or was it accidental .

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
wow! that is something to behold. something tells me you've been a motorhead for a long time. gonna run on shine?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Oh my word! - what a stunning engine :D

I love seeing engineering like this and I'm sure this engine is going to sound soooooo sweet once it's running.

jerrdan john, - I'm trying very hard not to be envious of your vintage lathes and mills. Old machines rule in my book too :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Oh my word! - what a stunning engine :D

I love seeing engineering like this and I'm sure this engine is going to sound soooooo sweet once it's running.

jerrdan john, - I'm trying very hard not to be envious of your vintage lathes and mills. Old machines rule in my book too :)
SOOOO TRUE! How awesome this is going to be.............Curt

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Been working on my engine. It is alive and running. Here is another picture with the carb on it. It looks funny, but I redone the sump in the engine to allow me to tilt it forward so that is why the carb looks weird, When the engine is mounted the carb will be straight. My coil went out in my magneto, so I had to run it off a model T buzz coil.
I am going to change over to two chains. A cam turns very inconsistently when running. The pressure of the valves makes it like rolling a tire with two big flat spots. I really think it will do better running the cam and magneto separately. I am also rebuilding the mount so I can have a cable or lever to advance to timing after start up because unlike a distributer, there is no centrifugal advance in a magneto. I want this bike to be self contained and not have to charge or install a battery. I don't plan to copy any other brand of board track racer, like Indian, Harley, Pope, or others, but build my own rendition of a very early 1900's motorized bicycle/turned board track racer. I am trying to used parts from the first half of the 20th century to build the entire bike. Most of the bolts will be Ford model T, Fordson, and various parts from old tractor's and equipment.
I will post some shop pictures on soon showing all my mantique machines.

jerrdan john

Sep 7, 2014
North Carolina
Also, just in case someone notices. I did change the combustion chamber. I also moved the spark plug to the head. I raised the compression a couple points. I will also be running a compression release on the exhaust valve. My son took some video of the engine running, so I will try to get it posted soon.