honda gx friction drive

GoldenMotor.com

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
I am having a friction kit built and using the honda gx100 engine in my usx trike. Should I go with this engine which is a low RPM torque monster or go with the gxh 50 honda which has to rev to get power out of it

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just can't go wrong with a Honda. My all time favorite engine. Seriously great power plants. And really smooth.

I replied to your other thread thinking you were thinking about a bicycle FD.

For a trike, and just my thinking, I would go with the torque monster. But the 50 would keep you street legal is pretty powerful.

Found this; http://engines.honda.com/models/compare/gxh50,gx100

Really dunno. Tuff decision fer sure. And this was not a bit of help, eh?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
For an FD a slower turning motor is better as it will drive a larger roller(if direct drive). Leaving the motor governed will get around 22/25mph with a roller in the 2" range depending on where the gov. is set, usually around 3600rpm. Ungoverned will of course be faster. The 2.5 lifan will easily turn into the mid 4k range. Would expect the same or better(being OHV) from the Honda. I had one Lifan powered FD that I ran a 3.5" roller on. Would exceed 40pmh, but you had to pedal it pretty fast to engage the drive due to the high gearing. Was a much more pleasant ride with a smaller roller and a 33mph top end. Cool thing about a well designed DD FD is ratio/speed changes are as easy as a roller change.