Sun Crusher 'fat tire' cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Now to put one of these tires on? Is very easy. Take advantage of the V shaped valley in the rim. When you set the tire's bead deeper in that valley so to speak. The tire goes right on!
Thanks for the tips.
And if you get a flat you may not even notice it hehehe ;-}

Now the good news. Since I use slime good tires and leather thick tubes I never will be doing a road side repair.
I like HD tubes and liners but absolutely hate Slime in tubes, it is a mess every time you air it, has no flat prevention, and not a real fix either.

I may just do an electric fat tire after this MotoPed I'm building like this one a guy in another topic here is looking to build.

I have a brand new 48V SBP kit and perfect EM3ev 50V triangle battery and charger just waiting for something to put it on and these Fat Tire bikes really are a blast to ride.
With independent dual discs brakes (no clutch) it really should be a blast to ride fast in errie silence.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Biggest issue with electric fat bikes is most of the electronic hubs are 36 hole while most fat bike wheels are 32 spoke.

I know you can find 36 spoke wheels though, a few retailers sell the Surley fat bike with bionics kits already installed.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Biggest issue with electric fat bikes is most of the electronic hubs are 36 hole while most fat bike wheels are 32 spoke.
I know you can find 36 spoke wheels though, a few retailers sell the Surley fat bike with bionics kits already installed.
I don't do single speed hub motor bikes, I build center mount shifters

It don't matter what the back wheel is, the electric freewheel sprocket is on the right and turns clockwise tied into the front pedal sprocket.

The 7-speed on the back takes care of the rest.

I went ahead and bought one, $375 delivered, I have everything else here to make it a 50V triangle battery 1685W electric shifter with a 48V SBP kit.

Now I kind of hope the gas Fat Tire don't sell this week, it would be really fun to run them head to head and of course make for a really cool photo op ;-}

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thanks for the tips.
And if you get a flat you may not even notice it hehehe ;-}

I like HD tubes and liners but absolutely hate Slime in tubes, it is a mess every time you air it, has no flat prevention, and not a real fix either.
Wow KC sorry to hear about you experience.
I must be doing something right then? Because the past 30 or so years Have been pure heaven. There is absolutely no end to how many things I have pulled out of a tire only to just ride it more Couple thousand miles more easy! Oh Well http://youtu.be/-8KXFW201nM

Let me know please , what you think of changing those tires later on? Mebbe I can learn somthing?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
been using Green slime or simular products for years in lawn mower, go kart, bicycle, tractor tires with good results most of the time, but I'd rather not have anything like that in my tubes or tires.

living in central Texas we have thorns of many kinds everywhere so having some snot I the tires ortubes can be a little extra insurance for sure, some of the stuff works better than others and its all limited to what it can seal and how long it will stay sealed.

Best stuff I have found is called Ride On Tire sealant
http://www.ride-on.com/tire-protection-system.html
http://www.ride-on.com/ride-on-tire-sealant.html

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have tubes with over 5000 miles on them. Some with as much as 10,000 miles.You can still see the pyrocantha thorns in the tire. Got absolutly no intentions of doing any thing to them what so ever. I will just keep on riding on them. Not gonna fix what is not broke. Shure I have to air the tire up every once in a while. That dont bother me a bit.

Its walking the dog that makes.me upset. How about playing with a repair on the side of the r poo ad. Getting Molested by a mess of pitch black two stroke chain grease. Oh Boy!

There will never be a patch kit for somthing that simply does not need it in my case. Lol

Any one try the Briggs and strat brand yet. We put it in every peice of equipment we came across in the small engine shop I worked in.

Any way does not matter what brand it is. If one does not put enough product in the tube.

Preslimed brand tubes do not work because of this. I suspect some folks will never get the concept?

These wide rims have fun ! Anybody using them is GONNA TOO....

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Pre slimed tubes suck, I blew like three in a week. Still have some, they're useless
Yeah be lucky, dang, lucky to find a thick one of those over here too. To top it off there is no product in the tube ether?? They are like paper thin rubber last I seen them.

No good at all what so ever over here.

I have had good luck with the very same heavy duty tube combo most folks are suggesting. ''For a little while'' Really depends on what tire tube combo I can find?

So far for me? Thickest tubes I can find are mandatory. I have commercial grade Motorcycle tubes in my Large Marge. Then I go green Hulk Green. Barback as well no tire liner. That the end of it with this wide rim Especially! Too destructive getting the tire off.

Yet after that I can run a tire close to the tube exposed. Then it is time to start over of coarse.

In early years with down hill tubes H.D. I got about 12,000 miles out of a tube. It saw a few wore out tires, I was only pedaling at the time!;)

I can respect KC's thought on it. This is his stuff after all.

Last edited:

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I run Performance house brand Forte thick tubes on my mtb and road bikes, if I got a flat it's because I ran over barbed wire or something.

On my mtb I used think tubes and slimed, on my road bike I never bothered with slime. I might add some to my MB build just to be safe, but I hear Stan's is great as well.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The new Fat Tire bike just arrived!

The gas Fat has 3.5" rims with the fattest part of the tire at 4".
This electric Fat has 4" rims with the fattest part of the tire at 4.5".

We got it out of the box and on it's wheels and the second thing we noticed was that lame thin no shock seat has got to go.

The gas Fat Tire is already sold but won't be picked up until Sunday, that gives us today and tomorrow to get it built for a photo of the two together and maybe even a comparison ride.

We are kids in a candy store today ;-}

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Come on, bro. How many other independent builder/sellers out there can afford to drop 6 bills on a bike for kicks? How many of them know it will walk out the door for twice that? You're excited and happy about motorizing that bike, and that's cool I mean who wouldn't be. But you present it to us assuming that we can relate to your situation ("Don't you just love it when you can do stuff like this? I sure do"), but I've never heard any independent builder/seller besides you brag about dropping 6 bills on a bike and knowing it will walk out the door for twice that, so who exactly is it that you think can relate to being able to do stuff like this. "I don't make that much money selling motorbikes" but you can drop 6 bills on a bicycle. Does your wife support your business that much? I wouldn't run a business if I needed my wife's money to keep it going.
Wow,
There are plenty of people who can easily drop $600.00 on a bike, it's not that much for a bicycle. As for bread winners my wife makes way more money then I do. So what? I can relate to what Kc is saying. I have a friend whose wife is an executive for a multinational company and she brings home all the money. He rides motorcycles and plays his arse off, but he also does everything and anything his wife asks him to. My marriage works for me and my wife, my friends works for them and the way KC talks about his marriage it is probably safe to say the same thing.

Not everyone's life fits into the same mold. Don't assume everyone is looking at life through your lens, they aren't. I don't know KC, I have read plenty of his posts, he is enthusiastic about MB's and his enthusiasm is great to see. I enjoy reading about his builds. He presents some great ideas.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That sure is a set of tiny disk Brakes on that thing. Too small to stop me In all my experiance. The manufacture does not offer bigger rotors? I mean my 203mm rotors are about as small as I will go. Anything smaller is just well..

My 203's work pretty much perfectly. I like that they never fade and stop on a dime. Gotta give a fair warning when I let a fellow ride my bike. They are so used to putting a death grip on badly adjusted,worn rim brakes. I have to figgure they might get thrown off my bike? Have thought about getting 255mm's. The brake pads will last forever then!

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wow,
There are plenty of people who can easily drop $600.00 on a bike, it's not that much for a bicycle. As for bread winners my wife makes way more money then I do. So what? I can relate to what Kc is saying.

The way KC talks about his marriage it is probably safe to say the same thing.

I don't know KC, I have read plenty of his posts, he is enthusiastic about MB's and his enthusiasm is great to see. I enjoy reading about his builds. He presents some great ideas.
My wife moved into my home with me some 30 years ago from a dump apartment making Secretary wages and I was raking in cash hand over fist with my home based computer business and life was good.

Fast forward 25 years and there was no more money in PC's and my wife had moved up in the company and the one raking in the big bucks and I found something else fun I could do from home and make enough to be respectable and stay out of trouble.

My Pop's passed away at 80 last year and I got a 5 figure inheritance when the estate settled and decided to invest some in myself.
$600 for a bike being extravagant and out of line as that greaseMonkey guy eluded to?
Pffttt...
I put about $1,100 in parts into the gas Crusher.
It sold within hours of posting it on Craigs for $1,500.

It takes money to make money and we have some, sorry many of you don't but dissing me because I have working capitol and everything I build sells?
(just shakes head)

Is that just a trick of the photo angle or is that front fork mounted backwards?
The forks were backwards, seen it right after that shot and fixed it, Cole (my mechanic and best friend) was a bit over enthusiastic putting the bike together so we could get the electric kit on it before the customer takes delivery of the gas fat tire.

No joy getting to ride the two Fat Tires together, the dolmite's BB is a nightmare so we are going to have to get creative Monday but it already has a potential buyer and it's not even built yet.

I doubt I'll have as quick a turn-around sale time on the $2,500 I have invested into this 'Dirt Bike Motorcycle with Pedals' monster project I have with no customer...

... but when it's done someone will buy it and I'll try something else new.

For now it's getting the dolomite shifting e-FatTire done so we can get to other business and it has not been friendly.

I'll make a new topic for the Mongoose dolomite electric shifter when I have something useful to post about how to handle the bottom bracket to take the force of an electric or gas powered Jackshaft setup with sealed needle bearings with only 20mm of threads in on both sides of the 100mm BB hole.

Like I said, it's not playing near as nice as the Suns BB.

DRBS

Jun 22, 2014
Westland MI U.S.A
These bikes were designed in alaska for snow crusing ive seen these on alaska state trooper with a motor and the trooper was giving the guy ****. If it comes back on ill let you all know