My 66cc engine only runs for about 5 seconds then Rpms get low and it shuts off

GoldenMotor.com

Sexypena

Feb 1, 2014
Porterville
I just ordered a 80/66cc bike engine kit from "bikemotorkit.com" and well I finished putting it together and when i tried testing it out it only ran for about 15-20 feet then it started shaking/choking and shut off also I tryed giving it throttle but the throttle didn't work and it's now leaking gas. About a drop of gas every 6-10 seconds from the carburetor seems like it's leaking from the idle screw or the tickle button either one of those two spots

Can someone help me ,.. I'm just a basic skilled 16 year old guy
: I tryed adjusting the choke starting from it pointing up and worked my way down to its horizontal position
: I also checked the pin inside the carberatur and c-clip
:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of good info here. First did you check to see if the barrel in the carb was moving up when you twist the throttle? If the carb is leaking either you have debris in the needle and seat or the float level is set too high. You will need to solve both to start with. A new engine will run rough sometimes so the best thing to do is get going at least five mph and start the engine, then pull in the clutch while keeping the engine running. Warm the engine some before trying to ride, then pedal up to speed before releasing the clutch. With a little practice you will get the hang of it.

Sexypena

Feb 1, 2014
Porterville
Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of good info here. First did you check to see if the barrel in the carb was moving up when you twist the throttle? If the carb is leaking either you have debris in the needle and seat or the float level is set too high. You will need to solve both to start with. A new engine will run rough sometimes so the best thing to do is get going at least five mph and start the engine, then pull in the clutch while keeping the engine running. Warm the engine some before trying to ride, then pedal up to speed before releasing the clutch. With a little practice you will get the hang of it.

Greg thank you soo much I actually feel pretty dumb all I needed to do to get it started was pedal faster and as for the leaky carb I just loosened everything and tightened ever thing back up and Boom problem solved everything seems to be running good , except I can't get it to idle just right if I screw the idler clockwise till it's nice and tight how many times do I have to screw it counterclockwise to get it to idle good ?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
There is not a standard, just adjust it till it idles like you want it. If you have trouble with high idle look for a air leak, the intake base where it mounts to the cylinder and the carb to the intake.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The carb has slits in the mount for compression, we usually use some kind of sealer on the intake to carb area to seal it off.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I use NGK plugs in both if my bikes, b6hs gaped at about 26. I also replace the stock sparkplug cap with a NGK, I buy them from the local motorcycle shop for less than $3 each. I have never tried a boost bottle but from what I've read here they aren't that great.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The best upgrade to do first is the sparkplug and cap, the stock cap has caused many problems. The center of the cap will come apart causing miss fires. I would change those first and then ride it till its broke in, about three full tanks maybe four.

Sexypena

Feb 1, 2014
Porterville
Greg thanks I really appreciate your help ,this is my first bike build , I really appreciate you answering all of my questions

Ride on Brotha brnot