newbie needs help

GoldenMotor.com

TheBlueDeMond

Nov 14, 2013
meridian idaho
Hey guys I'm new to all this and am trying to put my first engine on a bike. Ive got everything mounted and thought I was good to go so I added fuel (20:1 mix) and took it out for a test ride and..... nothing. It won't start so I was checking things and it seems to be getting fuel to the engine but as I checked the electrical stuff I don't think the spark plug is creating a spark. I checked on here and it seemed an NGK B6HS plug was pretty common to replace it with but when I went to AutoZone they didn't have any in stock so he gave me a champion brand one that he said should work just as well. So does any one have any idea what it might be? I'm thinking either a bad spark plug or something with the CDI/wiring. Thanks guys.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Re: newboe needs help

You'd best start with the basics. Double-check that your magneto is securely wired to the CDI and the spark plug wire is securely fastened to the CDI. "Securely" is meant in the electrical, but also mechanical, sense. You want to be sure there's no open circuit there.

If that doesn't get you some spark, then start searching threads for 'troubleshooting magneto' or something like that.

You can also come back to this thread and ask for further help, of course. But searching other threads for your info is always good practice.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Disconnect the kill switch from ground. The kill switches that are built into the kit throttles are notorious for failure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It is always a good idea to tell us what engine you have. It makes troubleshooting a lot easier. We're assuming you have a Chinese 2 stroke engine. As was suggested, start with the basics. How do you have it wired. Black wire to black wire, blue wire to blue wire and the kill switch wires spliced into the blue and black. If there is a white wire it should be insulated and never touch any metal part of the engine or bike. Those kit bullet connectors are not the best. We suggest the splices be soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing. The kit connectors are notorious for poor electrical connections.

If you replaced the kit spark plug with the NGK and did not remove the top cap the kit plug boot will not fit and there will be no, or very poor electrical connection to the plug. Your best option is to get rid of the kit plug boot and replace it with a good automotive quality item and leave the cap screwed onto the plug.

How are you checking for ignition? The spark plug must be removed from the cylinder head and connected to the plug wire then held firmly against the cylinder head fins while you push the bike forward at a good speed or lift and spin the rear wheel with the clutch engaged.

Tom

Last edited:

TheBlueDeMond

Nov 14, 2013
meridian idaho
Hey guys just an update. I looked at all the connectors and re soldered them and it started right up. Can't wait to go ride it around more tomorrow. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Joe trujillo

Jul 17, 2018
I need help I just bought a new engine and the clutch doesn’t disengage from the gears allowing it to idle. Clutch plate on that is supposed to move out to disengage the gears doesn’t move I don’t know what to do please help

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
new clutches are often stuck - if pulling lever and jerking bike back and forth hard a few times doesn't free it, take off cover, pull lever, and tap GENTLY with a hammer