Home made, open crank motor bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very interesting. I'm impressed with the ingenuity that went into building it. Or should that be 'enginuity' ?
The chain drive cam shaft, the big end oiler, all of it is just too cool. I would have to guess that it uses a fuel/oil mix for cylinder and ring lube?
Thanks Dan.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I said the same thing, Intrepid, about the sound. Is beautiful.

Then asked if he had done an "indestructibles" when I meant to ask "instructables" Snork. I am gonna go with typo, speel check or "I meant to do that"

Tom, in the comments, some one asked and he said he mixed some 4 stroke oil in the gas. I was thinking some kinda McCoy oilier on the cam that could leach into the combustion chamber might be a thought? Then thought a fish bowl/bubble gum glass oil res.....

Dunno but that thing is just an uber cool little power plant

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Very cool engine! I wish I could build something like that!
Too much machining for my skills!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I said the same thing, Intrepid, about the sound. Is beautiful.

Then asked if he had done an "indestructibles" when I meant to ask "instructables" Snork. I am gonna go with typo, speel check or "I meant to do that"

Tom, in the comments, some one asked and he said he mixed some 4 stroke oil in the gas. I was thinking some kinda McCoy oilier on the cam that could leach into the combustion chamber might be a thought? Then thought a fish bowl/bubble gum glass oil res.....

Dunno but that thing is just an uber cool little power plant
The sound very much reminds me of an old fashioned stationary engine. When I was doing the small holder farming thing back in my 30s I owned a hopper cooled cast iron horizontal stationary engine. It wasn't very big and it had an open crankcase too with drip oilers on the bearings. I notice that the compression ratio was only 4:1 so it looks like it shares the same soft tuning as my old hopper cooled engine did. That would be one reason why it doesn'tt need a muffler to be quiet as my old engine never had one either and it chuffed away pleasantly to itself in exactly the same way.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I always find someone with talent like that always says it was nothing to build. It only took 2 or 3 weeks in my garage working part time using what I had lying around.

I couldn't build it if I had all year and a brass band playing!

Steve.