my first Worksman build, full retro

GoldenMotor.com

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Got a killer deal on two Worksman bikes, missing seats and one wheel for $45. Took one and started on the build- this is a bit behind the curve (there's been more work done) as it were, but you can see where it is going. I am doing straddle tanks, patterned after those of the 1912 Harley Davidson

Attachments

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Sarge! Looks like you are off to a real good start so keep the build pictures and descriptions coming. We all learn a lot from them. What a deal for the bikes.
Good Luck, Dan

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
BOOO Little pitcures! YEA!!!! Worksman BTR with really cool tanks! Please detail the tank building process. looks like your off to a great start!

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Those 'tanks' are actually mockups... there are two, straddling the top bar holding 1.5 gallons. By the time I figure it all out, these can drop onto any worksman curve top without too much worry about exact fit... I intend to design similar for the straight top frame as well. These curve top tanks are appropriate for 1912 to 1917 HD designs while the straight top tanks will work for 1907 to 1911. I will also look into 1903 to 1906 and see what is involved. It is my intention to fabricate all of the above for retail, but first I have to teach myself how to use a MIG set-up reliably (minor detail)... we shall see how successful my efforts are...

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
You will need to make sure you have a small crank on the bike to ensure you have enough room. I have one of Sportsman's cranksets which has a really small sprocket. I believe though you can get away with a 36tooth sprocket on the crank if you are using the stock head. Also, to get it lower in the frame you can dremel off some material on the back motor mount.

Here's a link to my thread if it helps:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44863