Sportsman BTR Seat

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
I have been messing around with a new boardie seat design. I laid out a laser pattern and cut a test pan and all the associated hardware in stainless, then found a true leather craftsman to work with. Here is the first finished seat. Still needs a bit more tweeking to the pan shape, but the leather work is beautiful. It's all in the details and this is one detail I am very happy with.

Sportsman BTR Seat by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

This is the hardware package and underside detail.

We even made a stamp for a logo to go on the side flap. This is the first test of the new stamp.

One of the things I enjoy most about this hobby is meeting and working together with some very talented craftsmen. What could be better? Oh, and every single piece from the metal to the leather comes from the good old USA. Even the hide belonged to some big bull running around the hills of this country of ours. Not cow hide either, but an actual BULL. This is one tough hide!

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WOW PAT! Thats HOT! When ya gonna update your web site ( with the price ) Thius looks much better than the old seat.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
When you click on the photo you see some notes under Pat's photo.

"It's not just about the seat. This is an entire package with all the maounting hardware. We also have a mount system in the works that will attach the Sportsman BTR seat to one of our layback seat posts so you can run the seat on any bicycle without welding brackets to your frame."

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Man that looks great!

Now that that you have your caparison testing done and you have a superior design on line I’ll give $50 for that crappy old hard riding Mesinger saddle...

“-)

-Kirk

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
When you click on the photo you see some notes under Pat's photo.

"It's not just about the seat. This is an entire package with all the maounting hardware. We also have a mount system in the works that will attach the Sportsman BTR seat to one of our layback seat posts so you can run the seat on any bicycle without welding brackets to your frame."
Very cool, and good to know for those that use bicycle frames.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
g'day PAT,the seat with the logo on it would sure look the good's and i guess you will be doing the seat in black also ?and did i read you are doing belt's ...wow that is great to know cause when you flying on the sportsman you wont need to worry about ya pant's falling off ...I must say just finished the PANTHER and soon looking to email you and look's like you have more to offer with your outstanding work ...So Pat just to say when you buy a new car the company give's you a gift or two saying key ring,fuel,etc etc i just wondering if i would receive a sportsman belt with a new bike build? cheers MICK auflg

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pat, you've done it again. Any ideas on when this will be available and at what price? I'm assuming they will be much cheaper than the current replicas available.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks for all the positive comments, guys! Right now I plan to run this seat on one of my personal bikes, then make another one to mount to a layback post for my pedal bike and see how I like them. With the layback post mount it will leave a couple unused mount bolts, the two rear bolts on the saddle, so I was thinking maybe making a couple tabs to carry a leather tool bag. I may end up having matching saddle, tool bag, handlebar wraps and even a belt! Maybe I can buy a nice high speed motorcycle tire, water jet cut some size 11 soles, and have my leather guy sew up a matching pair of shoes! Alright, I better stop there.......

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Pat, with the unused mount bolts you could have some type of adjustable supports that come down to the frame and connect with a type of clamp maybe something nice like the clamps you provide with the tank and tool box. Just a thought... that would help keep the "Look" of the btr.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat, with the unused mount bolts you could have some type of adjustable supports that come down to the frame and connect with a type of clamp maybe something nice like the clamps you provide with the tank and tool box. Just a thought... that would help keep the "Look" of the btr.
I had thought about that but frames are so many different tube sizes and the clamps need to be very accurate to pull up tight so they will not slip. It's possible for like a Worksman or Schwinn frame, but you get into the aluminum tube frames it would be challenge.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is another update photo. I made a couple subtle changes to the pan and my leather guy made some changes to his pattern, too. I cut the pan narrower and added more curve, leather flaps are larger. Here is one that will probably end up on my pedal power boardie. First seat with the side flap logo!

Oh, I also messed around with a mount to adapt the current seat bolts to a layback seat post using standard bicycle seat guts. It needs a fews mods still, but it has proven that a simple mount system is possible.