Burnt Island Express

GoldenMotor.com

Ratrod65

Mar 7, 2013
Lumberton, NC
Starting on my very first build of a BTR in just a few weeks. I secured my neighbors older Huffy cruiser for $20 and took it all apart to inpsect the bearings and check for any hidden cracks. It is very similar to the frame used on a BTR called The Dixie Flyer if not the same. Very new to all of this but so glad thier is a wealth of information and help within this community. Looking for an older style motor or B&S v twin to power it with a belt drive final. I will post some pics as it all comes together or ends up in a twisted heap. Only time will tell but looking forward to the adventure.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Hey, ratrod, your use of the word "adventure" is pretty descriptive of what a motorized bicycle build can become. Sounds as if your plans will live up to those expectations, lots of luck (that really helps) and keep us updated.

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
Ha good luck on the build I use Huffy stuff on all my bike builds ie. REO AND REO II BUILDS..... some say Huffy's are not so good, but fine for me.. Dave

Ratrod65

Mar 7, 2013
Lumberton, NC
Thanks everyone for the support concerning Huffy parts. Here is a quick picture of the frame I am using it was a good vibrations frame.. Next couple of weeks booked up with family and short vacations but with be making those dreaded first cuts to lengthen the frame and set the J tube. Looking forward to it.

Attachments

Ratrod65

Mar 7, 2013
Lumberton, NC
Finally after a month of not being able to work on the BTR I was able to get a couple of hours this morning to work on it. I was able to cut it all up and set in the J tube then as I was going to head to town and get more tube for the upper supports when my 16 year old reminded me I had lots of 1 inch square tubing laying around that I should use...A little out of the box but I do love strange ideas from my children...I decided to cut and weld the tubing to have it look a little like a camel back but still try to keep it a little original. My son was also the one who decided on the motor as well when we were at Harbor freight last week with a coupon during their outdoor sale and got a 212 cc Predator engine for only $ 73.00..... I will go with a CVT and maybe a springer style front end but for now this is where I am at with lots of grinding to get it all smooth. Enjoy the photos, I hope to get more done in a few weeks if work allows as I work out of town all week with only the weekend at home and this is not a big priority when I am home...its all about family...Hope everyone is having fun with their builds, I know I am...take care...

Attachments

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
may the rats be with you

looking good and I like the camino as well

I might have what I think will be exceptional tanks in a very short while!!!

Ratrod65

Mar 7, 2013
Lumberton, NC
Was able to strip the motor a little bit and get the rear mounts set into place with the front just mocked up.. Once I get it all stripped and fired over I will go ahead and start working on the tank...I really wish I had an older motor but for a first build I am happy with this Harbor Freight engine for its reliability as suggested by several users threads. Here are a few pics of where were at so far..

Attachments

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
rr65

do you know yet what hubs/wheels /brake set up you are planning to use
now might be a good time to consider and adjust/reinforce accordingly --
and for dimensioning???

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Of course it’s hard to tell from photo’s but it looks like you may have a little negative trail in your front end geometry...

That could be a real safety issue on a bike with a big-n-fast engine like yours. For a good handling ride you probably should have at least 2.5” positive.

It should be easy to adjust things at this point in your build, and there’s lots of good information about it right here in the BT & V section of the Forum.

-Kirk

Last edited:

Ratrod65

Mar 7, 2013
Lumberton, NC
Thank you Mr. B for taking notice on the rake of the front end. After looking at the photos closely since I am out of town at the moment you are correct they appear to be on a neutral to negative set up. Just as soon as I get back home and pull her out I will cut and reset it. Thank you so much for the advice on keeping it correct and stable.. Much appreciated. Hey Bubba, as for the rims and tire set up I am looking into the Workmans style. Trying to do a much research as to what is the most recommended.

Ratrod65

Mar 7, 2013
Lumberton, NC
Fixed the rake on the front and mocked up the tank yesterday but was able to get done what I could with the time I had. My middle son thinks I should go with a long pull back bars for the stearing instead of the BTR set up? Got to love sons as they all have opinions and want to make it their project. They don't want to fund it but they will ride the piss out of it when you finish it. Hahaha Until next week have a great build everyone.

Attachments