Slower with shift kit

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
It's like Ghost0 said its all about horse power and its efficient use. Just about any gear ratio can be made to propel your bike. What this then turns into is a legal question of how much power will your local area allow you to have.

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Im hitting just over 40 mph on a good day with a shift kit but its taken a lot of tuning to get there and the closer to forty I got the harder it was to find gains. I am running the 9 tooth sprocket on the jack shaft output and have had the best results with that gearing on both climbing and top end speed. I have tried both the 10t and 11t with a few different setups but the 9t has always been best.

I see some people saying that 7th & 8th gears are more for downhill but my bike pulls 7th on flat ground pretty well sometimes even 8th but it wasnt until I made several motor changes such as Hi comp head and Jag ignition that it would pull 7th or 8th. but the 9t sprocket also helps to pull those gears. I dont have a tach yet so I have no idea about rpms thru all this.

I seem to have hit a speed barrier at 40 mph, I have tried a few things and I am running out of other things to try unless I do something drastic. I hit 44 mph a couple days ago but that was a tail wind of about 7-8 mph.
Reading your sig i see you have a sbp pipe, is it short or long? With gearing i would sacrifice launch speed for more high end (make the pipe shorter), unless its already where you feel the boost just before switching gears. Only other things i can suggest is porting (you probably already did), correct the transfers (jb weld, jags site has a tutorial) and/or reeds. With the puch head youve already increased compression to around 115psi, maybe a dellorto carb or better?

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I really need to get a tach. My header tube is shorter than most because of me wanting to run the pipe up instead of down because I ride in some dry weeds and I could just see some dry brush getting hung up down near the cranks and starting a fire.......I could do without that!

I have a total of about 15" to 16" header tube. I found I get best acceleration if I short shift (Shift at lower rpms) and let it wind out high rpms when Im in 7th or 8th. The engine has good bottom end and a fairly good top end.

I already have a Delorto knock off RT carb from Dax, I havent done any porting or internal motor work yet. I wanted to see what sort of gains could be had by bolt ons and tuning alone. I used to race Karts and I always did my own engine work (Piston port engines). I am ok with the horse power it has for now, Im building a second bike with a KTM clone and that will become my number one bike...... I hope.