Clutch problem?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Loosen your clutch cable tension. It shouldn't take much. You want the cable tight with little to no slack but it shouldn't be pulling the clutch actuator arm in enough to keep the clutch from completlely disengaging.

DO NOT start messing with the flower nut like some are going to tell you to do until you have the cable tension correct.

Tom

Tom

fogell420

Oct 14, 2012
Portland Oregon
the cable isn't the problem. i took off the clutch cable. I've put the clutch lever at every angle and the engaged position still lets the back wheel go somewhat freely. it's a lot tougher than disengaged, but it still runs somewhat freely. like i said, ive adjusted the lever arm at every angle and i still cant get it to be fully engaged and have the back wheel not be able to spin at all:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
take out the 3 screws holding the left side cover where the clutch lever is mounted, if the clutch is still slipping with that cover off, then you'll need to do the internal clutch adjustments listed here on the board

NOTE: you may have a woodruff key out of place or missing entirely on one end or the other of your shaft

willie fortune

Mar 6, 2014
missouri
take out the 3 screws holding the left side cover where the clutch lever is mounted, if the clutch is still slipping with that cover off, then you'll need to do the internal clutch adjustments listed here on the board

NOTE: you may have a woodruff key out of place or missing entirely on one end or the other of your shaft

The clutch lever is moving back and forth with my hand and will not lock in place when i put the clutch cord attached?

willie fortune

Mar 6, 2014
missouri
I can not get the crankshaft sprocket to move or turn with wheeland chain applied and the clutch lever will not stay in place when i attach the clutch cord?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The clutch release lever will swing back and forth freely when the cable is not attached.
When the release lever is swung in a counter clockwise direction with your fingers until it stops you have it correctly positioned to attach the clutch cable. It has only taken up the slack in the release assembly. It has not yet even started to move the clutch release mechanism inside the engine.
Thread the cable through the end of the release lever and slip the brass retaining collar over the loose cable end. Slide the brass retaining collar up the cable until it contacts the release arm.
The release arm should be positioned as far counterclockwise at it will go without putting any significant pressure against it. Keep gentle pressure on the release arm by holding the brass retaining collar against it. While doing this with one hand, pull on the loose cable end with your other hand to remove any slack from the cable assembly. Do not try to make the cable tight, just remove any excess slack.
Do not release the gentle pressure off of the brass retaining collar and release arm while pulling on the loose cable end and continue to hold it there during the next step. Now securely tighten the screw on the brass retaining collar so it cannot slip on the cable.

When the hand lever is squeezed it will swing the release arm only about 1/2 inch or so against the internal clutch release mechanism. You should feel strong resistance to this movement as the release mechanism is compressing against the clutch spring.

Last edited: