Few curioities & some help needed... project halted til solved ;-(

GoldenMotor.com

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
Ok, so there's a few things bugging me that I'm either not to sure about and some things I jut plain need help with.

1) I've got one of the odder shaped frames to the motor doesnt sit like one would expect it to hence the use of the adapter I alo ordered from KingsMotorBikes.com. Anyway, as noted by the pic, I am unsure of how the chain will be guided to is it concieveable (sp?) for me to instead use a downward facing chain guide be it with or without a makk roller ssprocket ?

2) The downward tube is to large to fit the coil box or whatever it's called so for now I temp placed it on the upper cross bar. Well, the screws that hold it on interfere with the placement of the gas tank as evidence by the 2nd pic. Any of you got an idea or two for better box placement ?

3) The head piece on the spark cord doesn't sit right on the plug. I can jiggle this thing like there's no tomorrow, any one got any really good replacement ideas ? As it sits now I'd be lucky to hold a current for more than a minute.

4) This ones elf explanitory but also requires some thinking. Pretty much the way it sits I can't move it any more / place it any better and as it sits now there's a gap at the motor where the exhaust attaches... not sure how to try and fix this one since I don't have the means to bend the tube down and left I'm thinkin a quarter to a half inch.

It also appears that there might be pedaling issues even if / when tweaked.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
you need to uncrew the gold cap from the spark plug to make it clip on and

the wire wont reach from the seat tube you can flip the head backwards if you need to to make it reach but it dosent look like you have room i would get longer screws to mount the CDI in the front though

also most people dont use the chain gard on the engine side

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
use zip ties for your cdi...

I bent my exhaust by sticking it between the boards on my deck and bending it to fit...

Go to any auto repair place and get a plug wire they have taken off a car......Any used plug wire is better than stock wire....

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
that is true a aftermarket wire would be best then you can run the plug that way and zip ties are the best for your CDI then you can put it on your down tube

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
you need to uncrew the gold cap from the spark plug to make it clip on and
Since when does a spark plug have anything that unscrews from it ?

Can you give me a visual ?

the wire wont reach from the seat tube you can flip the head backwards if you need to to make it reach but it dosent look like you have room i would get longer screws to mount the CDI in the front though
There isn't any room unless I mount under the engine and then I would need a longer cable. Might just zip tie it as suggested since even with longer screws there would still be some minor annoyances.

also most people dont use the chain gard on the engine side
I didn't say anything about a guard but more on the height of the engine in relation to the chain positioning to the back wheel. I was asking about maybe using some sort of downward GUIDE.

use zip ties for your cdi...
Probably gonna be the safer / easier bet.

I bent my exhaust by sticking it between the boards on my deck and bending it to fit...
Don't really have anywhere I can safly place this to force a bend ;-/

Go to any auto repair place and get a plug wire they have taken off a car......Any used plug wire is better than stock wire....
I'm asuming this is if I have to mount it anywhere other than where it's seen now in the pic or the downtube since either of those two positions the cap reaches the plug just fine.

that is true a aftermarket wire would be best then you can run the plug that way and zip ties are the best for your CDI then you can put it on your down tube
Even if I got an aftermarket wire to make it longer than ones on here now, how do you do such a replacement since the box is sealed tigher than a... woops, almost took that in a weird direction lol.

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
I think I had an oh crap moment on the spark plug... after lookin at the pic better lol... brb.

Edit: Cant get the gold tip to budge... so ya, would love a viual.

Last edited:

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
it helps to hold the plug with something like a bench vice or a wrench the same size as it and screw off the cap
Will take another go at it and try again, but are these "caps" supposed to be protective and removed when needed ?

I'm just thinking that when the cap comes off he plug piece will be smaller and still sit funny in the cap.

Alo, what about the other notes / comments in my first reply ?

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
the wire screws out of the CDI counter clockwise
Face palm moment lol

if the chain is able to go to the rear sprocket without hitting anything its fine as long as its strait
I know but I'm looking at this as a what if so I can say that I asked now which i swhy I was considering downward sprocket guides or something.

the plug actualy clips into the stock boot without the top on the plug its a post under the gold cap http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/epch1.htm
One would hope it would all click in to place as is which it should IMO. I guess when the spark plug caps off that the cross bars seen in the wire cap just what, lock around the threads on the plug after the plug caps been removed ?

Couldnt I just as easily get a better cap that would fit the plug as is or i removing the cap from the plug the best solution ?

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
no problem thats what we are here for
I'm sorry but there was one other quick thing lol... can I use any 2 stroke engine oil ?

I figure when I make the trip to the auto store I might just make a side stop to home depot for the oil. Heck, might even forget the auto store and just get everything at Home Depot.

Ty.

Edit: FWIW, what oil brand is suggested around here ?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
yep any 2 stroke will work non synthetic is actually better for break in after break in i switched to HP2 honda synthetic but i have a quart of chevron if i run out the break in oil to gas ratio is 20:1 not tthe books 16:1 in case you needed to know

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
ratio calculator if you need it http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html and a mix cup is helpfull unless you get the squeeze bottle with the OZs on top
Thx for the link.

So everything should look like this then...

Break In - 4 Tanks / 2 Gallons of Gas
Type: 2 Stroke Non Sysnthetic
Ratio: 24:1 (5.333oz / 5.25oz)

After Break In
Type: 2 Stroke Synthetic
Ratio: 32:1 (4oz)

-------

Would the 1 tank be right for break in or should it be a 2 tank break in... I think the tank I got is 1/2 gallon. Also, what about the ratio for after break in ?

Edit: Using the calculator it looks like, asuming I have a half gallon tank that the break in is 3.2 oz of oil to every half gallon of gas. I might even just use my digi scale to weight it out heh.

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
first 4 tanks or 2 gallons are breaking in the motor but after the first 2 you can raise the ratio more to 30-32:1 mabe 35:1 i wentto 40:1 and ruined a wristpin bearing so im going back to 25:1 for a tank or two the im going to run it in that area 30-32:1 i dont want to ruin another one

and fluid OZ arnt the same as wight OZ

and as far as brand goes i went to honda because that was around i have a dealer close to me and everyone uses a different oil they swear by you are good as long as its not marine 2 cycle that will kill the motor in a tank or 2

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
first 4 tanks or 2 gallons are breaking in the motor but after the first 2 you can raise the ratio more to 30-32:1 mabe 35:1 i wentto 40:1 and ruined a wristpin bearing so im going back to 25:1 for a tank or two the im going to run it in that area 30-32:1 i dont want to ruin another one

and fluid OZ arnt the same as wight OZ

and as far as brand goes i went to honda because that was around i have a dealer close to me and everyone uses a different oil they swear by you are good as long as its not marine 2 cycle that will kill the motor in a tank or 2
Sounds good, so for the fun of it / better break in I might just do the firt 4 / 2 gallons at the mentioned 20:1. After that I might to 30:1, what I dont get though is you say the ok max is maybe like 35:1 so what about the additional 5 makin it 40:1 could kill a wristpin bearing. On top of that, how do you even kill one of those lol

For what its worth though so I can say that I asked. I'm asuming anything below 30:1 is a no no after the break in ?

I only ask because I dont wana go too low but at the same time not go too high. I've heard people say 25-28 after break in.

-------

Break In - 4 tank (2 gallons)
Type: 2 Stroke Non Sysnthetic
Ratio: 20:1

After Break In
Type: 2 Stroke Synthetic (HP2 Honda)
Ratio: 30:1 ?

Edit: Good point on the weight thing lol