What stops the clutch actuator arm from popping up?

GoldenMotor.com

Peter16

Jun 24, 2012
Australia
I removed my clutch arm cover so i could paint it and now it pops up if i hit a bump or simply pull it up with my fingers.

Am i missing some sort of pin that rides in the groove on the actuator itself?

in the photo i have arrows pointing to where i figured the pin would sit.

auflg

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
That a common problem, take the cover with you to a parts store or hardware store and find a roll pin that fits. Tap the roll pin in till it bottoms then cut or grind off the excess.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you're not putting the arm back in correctly. If the pin appears to still be there the arm and cam must be rotated about 180 degrees to clear the pin allowing the cam to go all the way in.

As Greg suggested, you can use a roll pin or a 3/32" drill bit shank to replace the missing pin. A sharp center punch can be used to peen the hole shut so the pin can not fall out. Most later engines came with a glob of epoxy over the pin to keep it in and it is notorious for failing. Use caution if you opt for the roll pin. If the pin is too big you can crack the aluminum cover by hammering on it.

Tom

Last edited:

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I had the same thing happen to me! I was confused until Tom enlightened me... and when I looked at my clutch plate I noticed it was cracked. Chain caught on the pin, ripped it out! I JB-welded it all back together with a bit shank, works perfectly. And it's not coming out =)