Smith motor wheel enthusiasts out there?

GoldenMotor.com

ALTWORD

Aug 7, 2012
BRADENTON, FL
I am restoring a 1916 Smith BA Motor wheel. Any other SMWS or Briggs Motor Wheel enthusiasts out there who can post pics of theirs or who have parts to sell? Would love to see more of these bike/buck board motors restored!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Altworld,

I know a man who is a major restorer of these. PM me and I'll give you his email.
He has been very helpful with other motors so I'm sure he would like to talk tyou.

Steve.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Please make sure you post many pics, Im sure if some guys see one they will come up with their own versions.

ALTWORD

Aug 7, 2012
BRADENTON, FL
If you go to YouTube and search "Smith Motor Wheel Ride" you can see it on a bicycle. Since I haven't figured out how to get link with my iPad, that's the best I can do from here. When I get home, I will get more info up.

There are also videos of other ones that are running.

I believe stopping was a matter of killing the throttle. if you google images of the SMW you will see a lot of great pics.

ALTWORD

Aug 7, 2012
BRADENTON, FL
Re: Smith Motor Wheels
In my picture was the 1916 BA I THOUGHT I WAS going to be able to get. Things didn't work out the way I thought they would, so I had to settle for putting a scrap book of Smith Wheel history together, that turned out great. BTW - beware of internet fraud. Posting for a Smith Flyer in an Iowa turned out to be a fraud case which I averted.

Anyway, in my search process I found an original 1915 Motor Wheeling Brochure from a rare book dealer. Surprised my wife with it all and she loved it. It all turned out a lot less expensive than trying to restore a wheel.

If you go to www.acom.com (a century of motorcycling) the Baer family sells an amazing 155 page book on the Smith and Briggs Motor Wheels, plus perfect full color replica sales brochures. I highly recommend it. You will need to call them since the items are not listed on their website.

Attachments

Last edited:

ALTWORD

Aug 7, 2012
BRADENTON, FL
Just realized that the museum that has the "Auto Red Bug" on display mislabeled the item. That's a Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel. The Auto Red Bug had an electric motor. Do you know what museum that is?