Valve Rockers Don't Line Up with Valves?!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I was setting the clearances on my valves when i noticed that the rockers don't line up with the center of the valve stems.

:-||

The picture explains it all:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
While it is common for the rockers to be engineered to be a little bit off center of the valve stem (makes the valve rotate for a longer service life), the amount of offset you have is alarming!
What engine is that?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have not had the need to adjust the valves in my HuaSheng yet so I cannot comment if your rockers are placed similar to mine.
Perhaps scotto- or MotorBicycleRacing or someone who is more knowledgeable with the HuaShengs will see this thread and be of more help.
I am sorry I am not... yet.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I was setting the clearances on my valves when i noticed that the rockers don't line up with the center of the valve stems.
that is really off center!

Did you try rotating the springs, maybe your valves are bent?
There is a little bit of side to side play on the rockers.....

Both of my Honda"s and my Huasheng line up.
Sorry too lazy to take a pic and the finish on
the Honda rockers and casting make the Huasheng
look like they were chiseled by a caveman! :D

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Are there any shims on the shaft, next to the rockers that can be re-arranged? If not, you might try removing metal from the rockers on one side, or from the shaft stantions, and add shim washers.

Might try changing the rockers around just to see if they fit better that way.

But it might run fine like it is for a long time.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
dont bend the rockers,you are looking to break the castings they are mounted to.
as mentioned above ,file a little off the rocker and shim it over.
i would swap them before filing ,though.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If you have access to an aceteylene torch, you would prolly be OK heating the arm's end to dull red and then bending them some, and let then air cool a couple munites before quenching with water .
If they have bronze bushings you will have to use the heat carefully and quickly, and maybe quench with water after a munite or so, or remove the bushings before heating.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I was soldering a carb jet shut the other day at work. As the carb was running too rich. I almost ruined the jet using a Propane torch. Yep it melted that jet on one of the bottom edges.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I doubt you'll have much luck heating and bending a cast aluminum rocker arm. It will break before it bends. I'd suggest checking the squarness of the rocker arm shaft to the valves. Could the shaft be bent? I doubt that the castings are that far off. Has this engine ever been apart before?

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I just went out to my garage to check two HS engines. Both have cast aluminum rocker arms.

Tom
Are yours Titans?
Both my GXH Honda's and 49 cc Huasheng are steel as in sticks to a magnet.
I checked too.
Yes, the rocker arms in the pic do look like cast aluminum.
My rockers have a more rounded look and the motor is older.

I guess they are cheaping out in the new Huashengs or
in the tapered shaft version.
The steel rocker arms in the Honda are very nice pieces.

My Huasheng is the 5/8" straight shaft version.

The OP Huasheng is the tapered shaft or built in clutch pack.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I just did that. They are not bent. What do you suggest I do?
First off, the only way you would know the valves were bent or not would be to split the crank case open and drop the valves out for inspection Did you do that?

Also in the first pic of this thread it looks like you're pushing the rockers over to that side......that's what I'm seeing. I wouldn't worry about it too much if the engine is brand new and has been running fine. If it's not broke, why are you fixing it?

I'll take some pics of mine and be back for your response.....

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
OK, look at these pics. As you can see there is alot of side play with the rocker set-up. These are normal.....your's are normal....life is good! Now go ride your brand new bike and quit tearing it apart every 5mins. Honestly.

dnut

Last edited: