All My Motors Stalled!!

GoldenMotor.com

tarmack09

Jul 9, 2012
Madera CA
I got 4 Motors going on some 4 odd bicycles.. I was going to try to make some extra cash for the summer..and if possible start a business. I hardly broke them in and they just stalled on me.. It made this really weird ding & clanging sound.. and then the bicycle tires started to lock.. then engines died. Then I checked the gas and still nothing.. fuel line is kinda odd on these things as the instructions don't mention adding anything to glue down or.. hold down the fuel lines. Had some trouble with that at first because the fuel valve only stopped flowing when it was set at dead center! Weird issue with my motorized bicycles here.. if anyone has any tips for me.. Please let me know.. send me a message on here.. I am interested to know if anyone else has had this very same problem and has over come it.. Thanks.

"It should be noted that I did add the proper fuel mixture and it still stalled"! I even purchased a oil mixture applicator. On one of the bicycles I added a little more then normal about "half a cup" into the engine compartment.. and it lasted longer then all the other engines and only stalled when I wanted to change the carburetor idle screw. So what is going on? I just cant get right .. I don't know whats going on.

Sam

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You had 4 motors sieze up? What kind of motors? Did you have oil in the fuel? Did you use the same fuel from the same can in all of them? Old stale fuel can quickly gum up and stick the rings. Why would the fuel line need to be tied down? Most of the HT kits don't use very much fuel line and securing it is a non issue.
Something is seriously wrong with your methods if you toasted 4 motors in a row.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I agree with the others, if you seized up four different motors, sounds like you did not add oil to the gas. For two stroke motors, they get their lubrication from the oil in the gas vs. a four stroke which gets lubrication from separate engine oil.

Also, do you feel skilled enough to be building these for others and have their lives depending on your handiwork?

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
How the **** do you even "glue down the fuel lines"? If you DID have oil in your gas then please tell us what brand and ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:

tarmack09

Jul 9, 2012
Madera CA
I added the proper oil mixture that was not the problem! In one of the engines I dropped some half a cup of oil inside. That engine lasted longer then all the other engines. That was the last one that died and it died after I adjusted the carburetor idle screw. It never started after that!

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I added the proper oil mixture that was not the problem! If anything I might have put too much oil at times. I am going to check a little later and drain the engine.. cause in one of the engines I dropped some half a cup of oil inside. That engine lasted longer then all the other engines. That was the last one that died and it died after I adjusted the carburetor idle screw. It never started after that!
What mixture ratio did you use, and what type of oil?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Did you put a 1/2 cup in the engine or the tank? If you put it in the engine, the oil might have the engine in hydraulic lock.
If you dropped a 1/2 cup in the tank, it could have settled to the bottom and choked off fuel flow or filled the carb with oil instead of gas.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Did you put a 1/2 cup in the engine or the tank? If you put it in the engine, the oil might have the engine in hydraulic lock.
If you dropped a 1/2 cup in the tank, it could have settled to the bottom and choked off fuel flow or filled the carb with oil instead of gas.
Uh oh, I just re-read his comment. It did not even dawn on me that he might have put the oil directly in the engine instead of in the gas...

tarmack09

Jul 9, 2012
Madera CA
What mixture ratio did you use, and what type of oil?

First of all I couldn't find a seller in California..that was willing to ship me an engine. I had to order one from ebay and the guy lived in Canada. I followed the instructions on my user manual correctly. I know how to read. It was something like 16:1, then when you break it in it was increased to 20:1. Which I did. Please help! They all stalled on me!!!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Your plugs may be fouled. You might check them. I ran 20 to 1 for breakin and now run 32 to 1. Pull your plugs and see what they look like.....

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I followed the instructions on my user manual correctly. I know how to read. It was something like 16:1, then when you break it in it was increased to 20:1. Which I did. Please help! They all stalled on me!!!
No worries man, not trying to insult you, I promise. Just trying to figure out what the critical step that went wrong here on all 4 motors. FWIW, most here agree that 16:1 with a modern 2 stroke oil is too much, and opt to break-in with 24:1 then move to 32:1 after a few gallons.

But still, at 16:1 they should still run. Probably not great, but at least run.

tarmack09

Jul 9, 2012
Madera CA

I poured the oil directly into the engine block behind the piston head. I did this in a very liberal fashion. It lasted longer then all the other engines only stalling when I adjusted the idle screw on the carb. It was kinda bottoming out when I was comming to a stop so I wanted to adjust it.. then It hasn't started ever since. totally died on me. I might drain this one out and try to start it up again.. but I don't know if I should because I don't know why all the other engines stopped working in the first place. Again this was the last engine that stopped working all the other ones I was using proper oil mixtures.

tarmack09

Jul 9, 2012
Madera CA
Your plugs may be fouled. You might check them. I ran 20 to 1 for breakin and now run 32 to 1. Pull your plugs and see what they look like.....
I checked the plugs they still give a good spark. I thought it might be kinda weak so I bought another one and still nothing.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I poured the oil directly into the engine block behind the piston head. I did this in a very liberal fashion. It lasted longer then all the other engines only stalling when I adjusted the idle screw on the carb. It was kinda bottoming out when I was comming to a stop so I wanted to adjust it.. then It hasn't started ever since. totally died on me. I might drain this one out and try to start it up again.. but I don't know if I should because I don't know why all the other engines stopped working in the first place. Again this was the last engine that stopped working all the other ones I was using proper oil mixtures.
So you have a 4 stroke motor?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
The reason we are harping on the fuel/oil ratio is because it seems like the same condition afflicted all of your motors, and the symptoms sound like not running oil in your gas.

FWIW, what kind of oil did you use in the gas?

Also, when you pulled the spark plug, what did it look like? Was it black and wet?

Al.Fisherman put together a good checklist for HTs that do not start: So your HT won't start, well let's take a look