My horrendous experience with BoyGoFast

GoldenMotor.com

hackrtanman

May 22, 2012
Vashon Island
It all started Christmas of 2011, the day I get my BoyGoFast "80cc" (actually 60cc, called in 80cc. Do you guys call a 60c engine an 80cc, because in the instructions it says that that's what the motor bike community calls them?)

I managed to understand the horridly translated instructions, sometimes it would take a few mistakes to understand something, but all in all, the build wasn't that tough. There were no wiring diagrams or instructions, and that took more internet surfing. So then I get it running a few days after Christmas, and when I have some free time. Runs fine for the few times I ran it. The only thing I complained about then was the clutch, and how it over revved itself, causing it to shut off, even though I had adjusted the clutch. After about a month of test runs, maybe 2 months, I decide to go a 4 mile distance. A little over halfway, the rear sprocket comes loose, causing the master link to fly off, and about 6 of my spokes to pop. I walk the 2 miles back to my house, and take it off the bike. There it sits for another month or 2 while a find a good donor bike, one nice and strong. I install it, run it, and it started making a very high-pitched squeal, and would not run. After more googling, I found out the gasket wasn't tight enough. It wasn't because they weren't tight, it was because one of the head bolts. They hadn't even threaded it. This was where my dad and I had to decide, get an over-sized bolt, or get a new case. We decided to get a new case. Worst idea ever. We order one of around 27 bucks, plus 1 shipping, and another 5 dollar gear cover, because they left a loose screw on one of he worm gears, so it broke right through the case. Anyways, the case comes, and we take the motor completely apart. The first thing we noticed about the crank case was the head bolts being smaller than the original. We get all the bearings in, and put the crank arm and counterweights in, and guess what! It didn't fit! The case that was supposed to be the same as the old one couldn't fit the counterweights inside! But the horrors not over! My dad starts to carefully take a bearing out, and the case breaks ON THE OTHER SIDE of bearing, not even close to it! now were deciding what to do, because we've spend close to 200 bucks, and it's just not worth it. Moral of this story, even if you want a cheap, learners bike motor that has some quality to it, don't get BoyGoFast

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Every one of these cheap Chinese engines is a krap shoot. Some folks, like bairdco or foureasy (there are many others here too, I am not discounting them) can make them scream like a banshee and last for years doing so.
Yes, some engines are doodoo right out of the brand new box, and some are not.
The key words here are cheap Chinese kit.
Take them for what they are. Also, vendors like BGF are just resellers, not the manufacturer. They get whatever kits they can at the best wholesale price they can.
Quality may vary... greatly.

If you want much better after sale customer service, but from a reputable vendor such as ThatsDax, Bicycle-Engines, custommotoredbicycles, and a few others that members here can recommend.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Sounds like another case of inexperience. Don't matter who you buy these cheap priced engines from, they are all of rather poor quality and assembly. Ya get what ya pay for LOL
Sounds like improper bearing removal if the case cracked on the other side. Was a hammer involved LOL?
After a person has some experience, he will know to check all the fasteners, even under the covers, for tightness before starting the thing.
He would know that if the engine is revving until it quits that it's sucking air somewhere and/or running very lean.
Adjusting the clutch, internaly and externaly is something that any motorbiker needs to get familar with.
He would know to re-tighten the head before it starts leaking, and a properly installed and maintained ragjoint on a tight wheel will give you thousands of miles of service.

I've bought 6 chinagirl kits from BGF, and 2 solex clone kits and one HS 4 stroke kit. They all, except the HS, had loose fasteners scattered around, especialy under the covers, right out of the box.
For the price you pay, you have to expect to do some additional work. These ain't plug and play kits. Some of the ads I've seen tend to imply that though
I had only minor problems with a few, except the chainbox on the 4 stroke was a joke LOL but I sold the motor and used the other parts on my Preddy builds.
I feel that I got my moneys worth, and I expected to have to tinker with them to get satisfactory service.
BGF, and most of the other overseas and prolly some of the domestic vendors, never see the engines, they are drop shipped from warehouses as they are ordered.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got an engine from BGF. Its over a year old, still running strong. Checked my headbolts maybe 2 or 3 times, they stayed tight pretty good. Only problem I had was my magneto cover gasket didnt fit, so I ran without one and ruined a couple coils. Put some red rtv on it, been fine since. I believe this engine may have at least another year in it, possibly even more. I am so confident in the life of this engine that I will actually be transferring it to another bike when I have the funds. Reason for the transplant is the fact that I am driving a single speed cruiser and pedaling up hills is very difficult, plus I want disc brakes. for $200 at wallyworld, I can get a 29" mountain bike with a front disc brake.

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
The first engine I got years ago from Rick. And yeah I was inexperienced at the time but that engine got rebuilt/reworked many time over and finally retired it two years ago with a little under 12k miles on it. I have since gone to custom mounting other engines, ie: Yamaha, Morini M01's, HF/Predators, as these engines have a built in reliability factor that far out weighs ANY of the chinese engine kits on the market. Like WayneZ and others have said on this forum. "What can you really expect out of a $150 Chinese engine kit?" If price is an issue with your purchases then I suggest keeping an eye on E-bay and looking for an appropriate engine to build with. My Yamaha RX50 engine was purchased on e-bay from a guy in Stillwater, OK. for only $114 with $19 shipping. It is now my main rider and will get up and run well into the 50's.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, everything GearNut said is correct... and more! lol

Bottom line is they are a bargain for the dollar spent.

Sometimes yah gotta search a little for the entertainment value, but that's how it goes!
or doesn't... :)

Good luck
rc

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I struggle for awhile with the reliability of the chinese 2 stroke engines, and thought a long time about installing a predator. My biggest issues were the reliability and the poor balance between speed and climb. But I realized that if I had a bike with gears, I could pedal up hills very easily and by getting the right pipe and rear sprocket, I can make the bike go as fast as I am comfortable with. My next bike is going to be a 29" genesis mtb. pedaling up hills will be a breeze. my current pipe seems to help me accelerate very quickly. still trying to decide should I stick with a 44t rear or go down a few teeth. But there are ways to find a balance with these little chinese engines, even if the engine cant do all the work all the time.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
But the fact that they shipped a wrong part labelled that it would work for any of the 80 cc's is what im POed about
If the studs were 6mm vrs the 8mm, most likely the case was for a 49cc. I have never seen a 66cc come with 6mm studs, not saying they don't, just haven't seen one.

As much as I won't deal with BGF or Luckuearlybird (same company), their stock kits are for the most part no better or worse then any other Chinese 2 cycle engine. Rear sprocket coming loose is the installers fault. Granted that the instructions need to be better, it really isn't that hard to understand.

If you had done some research, you might have come across this.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

I have people calling me (not forum members), asking me a number or questions from a search. Once they call I point them to this and another forum, so I know the information it out there.

Top entry in Google a few minutes ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
If the studs were 6mm vrs the 8mm, most likely the case was for a 49cc. I have never seen a 66cc come with 6mm studs, not saying they don't, just haven't seen one.
The BGF RB80 uses 6MM head studs, and I think the Grubee GT5A does too.

So sorry that you had so many difficulties! These "kits" are definitely not plug-and-play, more like hug-and-pray. But I always get a silly grin every time I throw a leg over my China Girl...

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
I kinda think thats its good that the kits have limited information, one must kinda think your way thru a installation, sure its painful but you learn something every time.
If you want plug and play go electric ...

And I bet there is more to it than one would think ..

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
BAH! Instructions,WHo needs em?
thats just how they reccomend to install it.
it took me about 5 hours to get mine up and running.2 or 3 tuning and a couple repairs
almost 300 km's on it.

hackrtanman

May 22, 2012
Vashon Island
Okay, I have read all of your comments, And there is some stuff I agree with, such as the whole instructions argument. What I failed to mention in the first post of mine was that I DID do a very well check over the engine before we put it on. My dad, who has taken numerous 2 cycle, and 4 cycle, engines apart, helped with this. We tightened the head bolts, except that one non-drilled one, and all of the other ones. ran test ones, and ran it at very low speed. The clutch had been adjusted in pretty much every fashion available, and the over-revving would not stop. A hammer was not involved in the bearings, either. Also, as for the Google Docs page; I did not find that during the winter break that I had, that entire week I was googling all the details I could get. I read a few performance and tuning tips, but nothing too much. I also learned from this, first 2 cycle completely torn down, dealing with over sizing a bolt, and so forth.

This was also not my first motorized bike. My first was a weed eater powered bike, so was the second, both friction drive, and ran awesomely. Second was used during science fair, even though the school decided not to put it out because it was too "dangerous" and didnt want kids getting the wrong idea. This was ironic because right next to me was a high powered potato cannon.

All in all, What I should really say if this: To me, It seems like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Everything on the inside, with a few exceptions, seems to run well. But, the quality of the casing is what I don't like. Anyways, I am going to try and put a Helicoil into the case, get an oversize bolt, and see what happens. My dad may try and get parts to put into the spare (but slightly broken) case. If anyone wants any pictures, I'd be happy to put them up.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, aside from being expensive from the gate, I don't think electrics are quite plug n play.

and the vids of LiPo fires are really impressive! a lotta bucks just gonzo...

the chinagirl kits are just a dandy little package for what they are.

a universal kit to expand your horizons for minimal cost.

Best
rc

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Sadly, the learning curve gets expensive. Cheap China Girl lures you in, and causes nothing but grief. Great for experimenting, lousy for reliability. Then you see that for a few bucks more in the near term but long term savings, there are Tanaka, Honda, Robin/Subaru, Mitsubishi, and others that make engines from this exotic material "metal" that doesn't fall apart and has yet to be discovered in the garages that cast the China Girl from melted down pots.

Good luck. You didn't get a bad engine as such, you just rolled the dice and got a China Girl.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, with a tiny bit of work they are so unreliable that you can easily get 10,000 miles from one.

I have built 8 of these things (China Girls) and have yet to have one break, break down, leave me stranded or do anything less than asked.

A loose nut/bolt or two? Sure. Replace half the kit with other parts, nope.

I have run several of these with nothing more than some loctite, and that even includes the stock plug/chain/tensioner/gaskets/ect.

If you expect a 3-500 dollar kit for 175 dollars, that's where you can get into some trouble! :)

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
When those guys at Honda and Subaru and Tanaka and Mitsubishi figure out they can make quality engines out of random pot metal in a garage in Guangdong province, watch out China Girl!

Yes, with a tiny bit of work they are so unreliable that you can easily get 10,000 miles from one.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

I have built 8 of these things (China Girls) and have yet to have one break, break down, leave me stranded or do anything less than asked.

A loose nut/bolt or two? Sure. Replace half the kit with other parts, nope.

I have run several of these with nothing more than some loctite, and that even includes the stock plug/chain/tensioner/gaskets/ect.

If you expect a 3-500 dollar kit for 175 dollars, that's where you can get into some trouble! :)
I totally agree with you, although I do change out the spark plug as I had a plug cap break, some hardware particularly the cylinder and engine mounting studs, have original tensioner and even the stock supplied chain. My most expensive build was $300.00, and that was due to a new $100.00 bike. Cant go wrong with a $200.00 piece of transportation. Was put down with a blown head gasket on my first build, learned a valuable lesson. Although today I do a little more, all under $50.00 added to the kit.

Last edited: