Help - How to change the drive roller on Dax FD

GoldenMotor.com

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I would like to know how to change the drive roller on a dax friction drive, which has press fit bearings. It seems very difficult to change rollers. What should I do? Please be specific.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I would like to know how to change the drive roller on a dax friction drive, which has press fit bearings. It seems very difficult to change rollers. What should I do? Please be specific.
It is VERY difficult to remove a roller with pressfit bearings, ESPECIALLY on the 1.375" and 1.5" spindles. At times, I've had a machine shop remove the bearings and roller for me. I've also drilled two holes straddling the housings and used a steering wheel puller to press the bearings and roller out.

HOWEVER, once removed, I ALWAYS modify the pressfit connection to be slipfit, like the BMP friction kit was. All it takes is a few seconds with a piece of sandpaper on the roller ends. Then the bearings and roller can easily be removed and replaced. You will need to fab a simple bearing retainer on the outboard end. If you don't, that bearing will slip off the roller and housing while you're driving down the road.

Ask me how I know this.:-||

Last edited:

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
Question: I've got the two clips off and the retaining collar off. The drive shaft seems locked in or very tight. I loosened the spacers so nothing should be holding the shaft. Can I hit the drive shaft with a rubber hammer and then a dowel to push it out? Why is it so tight?

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
Using the the dax method in the video, it was very easy to change the roller from 1.25 to 1. The bearings came out from the channel easily and the puller used in the video which I purchased from Harbor Freight for $17, easily pushed off the bearing from the drive shaft. Here's the puller:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-pulley-puller-66868.html
I also purchased a 19mm socket to fit the puller.

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Using the the dax method in the video, it was very easy to change the roller from 1.25 to 1. The bearings came out from the channel easily and the puller used in the video which I purchased from Harbor Freight for $17, easily pushed off the bearing from the drive shaft. Here's the puller:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-pulley-puller-66868.html
I also purchased a 19mm socket to fit the pulley.
so you bought a socket to fit a pulley and not a puller

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
You have to remove the bearing from the drive shaft which is a press fit, and only a puller can do it on a Dax FD, per the video. The bearing has to come off the drive shaft to change drive rollers. Using a Robin EHO 35, the supplied 1.25" roller was replaced with a 1 inch roller for more low end torque, which proved to be an excellent match for the Robin engine, and the bearing was reinstalled. Look at the DAX video.