WTB: MANIC HUB ADAPTER for Shimano/hi-stop

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
This would be a remarkable experiment... Fatdaddy, get the those hub dimentions and I'll see if I cannot enlarge the hole on an existing one... a tricky bit of lathmanship, one that few would attempt, but I'll bet I can do it.
usflg
Hi,

Nice adapter you have made. :)

Quick questions please:
a. what is the inner diameter of your sprocket adapter?
b. do you have a website set up to sell it, if not, how to buy?
Thanks!

:)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hi,

Nice adapter you have made. :)

Quick questions please:
a. what is the inner diameter of your sprocket adapter?
b. do you have a website set up to sell it, if not, how to buy?
Thanks!

Sarge, I believe this is the guy that called me, I sent him to you cause he has a special needs hub setup. I will do the checking on the OCC hub ASAP. All of a sudden it got busy around here today, so as soon as I get a free minute I'll do that.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I finally got time to check out the OCC hub for a fit on the Howard adapter.
It seems the OCC hub is slightly smaller the the standard Schwinn coaster brake hub, but not by much. I don't have calipers to do a precise measurement, but all it took to hold the hub in place to take this picture was a piece of cardboard box wrapped once around the hub. So I guess the hub adapter hole is about 1/8" too big?
Also, The sprocket mount holes are slightly covered by the outer hub. When I put the rag mount on these I simply used a round file to give the bolts room. The sprocket bolts fall between the spokes so this is easy enough for anyone to do and worked just fine for me.
I think you would also have to extend the spacers to get past the 4 1/4" wheel. They would be easy to make or cheap enough to buy.
So, a smaller hole in the hub, A round file for the sprocket bolt clearance, And longer spacers for the fat tire.
What'cha think Sarge, Do-able?
I know this would be a 20 piece run, so I know it's something ya gotta think about. Worth it? could be. I was looking at e-bay earlier and theres a few Motorized OCC's for sale. And theres always a couple on craigslist, So people are still building these.
fatdaddy.

Attachments

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I finally got time to check out the OCC hub for a fit on the Howard adapter.
It seems the OCC hub is slightly smaller the the standard Schwinn coaster brake hub, but not by much. I don't have calipers to do a precise measurement, but all it took to hold the hub in place to take this picture was a piece of cardboard box wrapped once around the hub. So I guess the hub adapter hole is about 1/8" too big?
Also, The sprocket mount holes are slightly covered by the outer hub. When I put the rag mount on these I simply used a round file to give the bolts room. The sprocket bolts fall between the spokes so this is easy enough for anyone to do and worked just fine for me.
I think you would also have to extend the spacers to get past the 4 1/4" wheel. They would be easy to make or cheap enough to buy.
So, a smaller hole in the hub, A round file for the sprocket bolt clearance, And longer spacers for the fat tire.
What'cha think Sarge, Do-able?
I know this would be a 20 piece run, so I know it's something ya gotta think about. Worth it? could be. I was looking at e-bay earlier and theres a few Motorized OCC's for sale. And theres always a couple on craigslist, So people are still building these.
fatdaddy.
Hi.

Im sure you already know this, but you need to be precise in your measurements.

A digital micrometer can be had for cheap at harbor freight tools.

Here is the measurements for the occ chopper fyi:

1.250-1.258" Fits the Schwinn OCC stingray and Spoiler chopper bikes.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I didnt hear from Sarge yet.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hi.

Im sure you already know this, but you need to be precise in your measurements.

A digital micrometer can be had for cheap at harbor freight tools.

Here is the measurements for the occ chopper fyi:

I hope this helps.

BTW, I didnt hear from Sarge yet.

Yeah, I know worksman, Just haven't needed a micrometer untill now. And yes, The correct measurements help a lot, Thanks.
Sarge has a LOT going on in his life, I'm supprised he has time for a forum at all. I'm glad he does though, After seeing his Cranbrook build I built one for myself. It's one of the best ridding bikes I've ever owned.
The difference between 1.25"(the OCC hub) and 1.5"(the adapter) is closer to 1/4", Not 1/8". So thanks again for the measurements. I was thinking that you would leave 1/8" all the way around, That would work out to the 1/4" difference. Yeah, I need a micrometer.
fatdaddy.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Yeah, I know worksman, Just haven't needed a micrometer untill now. And yes, The correct measurements help a lot, Thanks.
Sarge has a LOT going on in his life, I'm supprised he has time for a forum at all. I'm glad he does though, After seeing his Cranbrook build I built one for myself. It's one of the best ridding bikes I've ever owned.
The difference between 1.25"(the OCC hub) and 1.5"(the adapter) is closer to 1/4", Not 1/8". So thanks again for the measurements. I was thinking that you would leave 1/8" all the way around, That would work out to the 1/4" difference. Yeah, I need a micrometer.
fatdaddy.
Here are some other measurements FYI:

"0.750-0.758" fits our steel 5,6,7 FW CB Wheel or can be used as a blank and be milled to size by your local machine shops.

1.000-1.008" fits the Walmart big 29er as well as the alloy 567 FW

1.180-1.188" fits Walmart Modus hub and some other walmart multispeed cruisers.

1.520-1.528" Fits the Shimano CB-110 COASTER BRAKE and others such as Hi stop, K stop, Falcon, and the Bendix coaster brake hubs." *1

*1 Source: Justins site:

http://www.piratecycles1.com/picycbspad.html

Thanks Justin!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Worksman, I think you might have hit on something. A blank hub that can be milled by the customer. Any decent machine shop could do this. As long as the customer knew the size he, (or she,) needed, then problem solved.
And again, Thanks for those measurements. It makes it easier for people to know what size hub they have.
fatdaddy.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i had a Bendix 76 hub (the last version made) and the manic adapter for the Shimano CB-E110 was too small. i'm pretty sure the standard Bendix hubs have been the same size for a million years, and same with the shimano's, so i think that fitment chart is wrong.

don't know the measurements, i just ground it down till it fit. the pressed flange on the hub broke off eventually, so i'm obviously not using it anymore.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Worksman, I think you might have hit on something. A blank hub that can be milled by the customer. Any decent machine shop could do this. As long as the customer knew the size he, (or she,) needed, then problem solved.
And again, Thanks for those measurements. It makes it easier for people to know what size hub they have.
fatdaddy.
? Milled by the customer?

John Q. Public MBers in general wont want to do that.

I think people want plug and play.

Just my 2 cents.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
WOW! Looking at Fatdaddy's photo, I see a number of issues with that hub- not the least of which is that wretched flange. What comes to my mind is this- there's plenty of dead space with that flange... what's to stop somebody from milling a ring and bolting it to the outside of the flange? Offset, so as to avoid pressure on the spokes and spokeheads... then drill and tap your nine holes for the sprocket, useing 1/4" instead of 6mm (cheaper, more readily avaliable) and avoid spoke issues completly? One would need both the wheel and the sprocket to manage this... don't bother sending the hub Fatdaddy, there is enough on my plate at this time.
BTW- I sent you the wrong dimention- 1.523" is the diameter. Huffy monospeed, Schwinn monospeed, Worksman monospeed and LaJolliausflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
WOW! Looking at Fatdaddy's photo, I see a number of issues with that hub- not the least of which is that wretched flange. What comes to my mind is this- there's plenty of dead space with that flange... what's to stop somebody from milling a ring and bolting it to the outside of the flange? Offset, so as to avoid pressure on the spokes and spokeheads... then drill and tap your nine holes for the sprocket, useing 1/4" instead of 6mm (cheaper, more readily avaliable) and avoid spoke issues completly? One would need both the wheel and the sprocket to manage this... don't bother sending the hub Fatdaddy, there is enough on my plate at this time.
BTW- I sent you the wrong dimention- 1.523" is the diameter. Huffy monospeed, Schwinn monospeed, Worksman monospeed and LaJolliausflg
Sarge, I've already thought about bolting directly to the hub flange. The flange itself would never support it, it's too thin and just not "hefty" enough. I suppose if you were to make a support for the inner part of the flange it would work that way, In fact I don't think it would be that hard to make. The outer adapter would look something like the Top Hat adapter. Then all you would need is a support ring for the inside hub. Then you could drill the hole pattern in the hub and bolt it on, simple. I don't know why someone hasn't done this yet. I suppose it's the same reason I gave you earlier, The OCC is not made anymore and there are fewer of them every day. A production run for something that is almost obsolete would not be feasible.
fatdaddy.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Between this and your pms to me on the subject, it is looking more and more like a tarbaby... I don't play with tarbabies. Yes, It could be done... a three piece custom one-off hubmount with a ridge milled into it, said ridge knacked for spokes and a recieving ring for a spacer on the outside, AGAIN knacked for spokes... probably eight or more hour's solid mill time WITH alterations made to the rim... yes, it could be done... but somebody better be bloody well RICH to cover my labor. Sad.. would make for a killer looking bike. I guess if MM does such a mount, that would be the ticket as I recal their three points of contact are a sizable difference of radius, appropriate to the task.
oh well...