Morini knockoff motor starts but wont engage

GoldenMotor.com

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Hi all,

Sorry about another clutch question here but I cant seem to find what Im looking for in the search.

I have built a new setup with a morini knockoff supposed to be roughly 6hp I believe.
Had to make the mounts for the motor aswell which was a little finicky to get everything to clear but its all good might just need to rework the exhaust a little so I dont burn my butt.lol
It has a kickstart and the carby looks kind of like a mikuni though it has 2 extra tubes that point downward in the top half..dunno and the top has a 2 screw black plastic lid....

Anywayz I fired her up today thinking after all this effort of fitting'er up I could go for a little test run only then to find the motor isn't sharing any of its beloved power with the back wheel.

:-||
It seems to start up nicely and sounds heaps different to my china ht's the way a 2 stroke bike should sound, cant wait to get it going.

I dont want to go pulling things apart just yet until I know its nothing silly as I am totally green with this kind of motor and not entirely sure how to go about fixing it.

Would it be something as simple as the clutch shoes not coming out?
Ive revved it up to roughly 3/4 throttle and had little to no resonse to the back wheel.
Cant see why the clutch wouldnt be working properly on a new motor?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.
Breno

Attachments

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Do these wet clutchs work the same as a normal dry centrifigul clutch setup difference being its in a bath of oil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-SAGjUidZs

im answering my own question after a ****e load of reading and bunch of youtube clips ive become another expert laff

Didnt realise our motors used a washer stack with concave shaped washers which are set to a predetermined or desired amount for an "adjustable" clutch.

Might try removing a washer and see what happens. looks like a fairly simple design (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqV_OePORO0 thanx goat) so I guess ya cant really go too far wrong with it...basically it'll work or it wont.lol
Might just drain and reuse the oil that it came with..hopefully its the 3 shoe setup.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
me again..lol
Found out my motor is no Morini knockoff as I assumed it to be. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37016

Oh yeah check this website out has some good info. http://www.motomx.com/
It has motor schematics, how to adjust your clutch and some other goodies.

The chain had to be a 420 chain (lucky my work uses these chains) to have no binding as the 415 is to narrow.
I had to make a dodgy little puller to get the clutch off the tapered shaft.
Removed the 3 shoes and spun 1 of the stack washers the other way in each stack to reduce the length of the stack.
Going by the motomx website I have the newer style clutch shoes which is a bonus I guess
Topped it up with ATF to the fill hole.
I have to rev the bike to what would appear 3/4 thru the rev range to get a nice bite out of the clutch to send me shooting up the road.
The beauty of these clutches is there is no spring meaning I can just adjust the stack washers to what ever I feel like to get the power wherever it needs to be.(^)

Looks like I'll be needing to find a bigger sproket than a 44tooth as the gearing is too tall when the clutch finds its sweet spot at cruising Im guessing i was doing 40ish mph up an incline it seems like the bike has heaps more to go in the rev range though the clutch seems to grab in and out around that speed when i hit it again.. slipping = awesome power then the odd grab = less power. I know it can go quicker than 40mph much quicker with the 44tooth thats on there but im not game yet.

I didnt want to push too hard as I only have my front brakes hooked up and they are rubbish so I found myself dragging my feet to stop + it hasnt even been run in yet..
Luckily I live in an area where hardly any houses have been built yet so I "own" the road for the time being and can see anything coming from miles away.

Future plans would be to go to a 55 tooth or higher, get a pro circuit pipe, send the motor in to get blue printed by a company called stone brothers here in sydney and get the bigger carby upgrade.
Should be a weapon then...seriously shes a cracker.

Makes me wonder if the kx65 head and cyl. will bolt right on..hmm time to do abit more research.

Peace fellas
Breno

Attachments

Last edited: