Starting Trouble.. Please Help!

GoldenMotor.com

RyserGuyser

Sep 1, 2011
College Park, MD
I'm looking for advice on getting/keeping my motor running, here's the explanation:

So basically, when I get myself going on the bike and engage the clutch, the motor engages and rumbles, but with no power output. Like the engine turns over only because the momentum from the bike turns it. There is no power in return.

Someone once suggested I take the spark plug out and ride it around to "reset the pressure inside the engine" or something ... and that works!!! If I take the plug out and ride it for 30 - 60 seconds, then put the spark plug back in, it fires right up no sweat and runs beautifully!

The problem though, is that I have to do that EVERY TIME if I want the bike to work. If I leave it sit cold for even 5 min, the engine will go back to that lame rumble with no power output next time try I try to fire it up.

If I ride continuously with the motor, kill it, and fire it back up shortly afterwards, it still works great! Again, if it sits around for 5 minutes though, then I'm back to square one....

Suggestions, diagnoses, advice!? I'm open to anything!!!

Thanks,
Ryan

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
That's pretty odd.. What happens if you put the choke back on after those 5 minutes? Can it start then?

There is no "reset pressure" when you remove the spark plug. Just that the engine can't build any compression because there's a whole in the top of the engine with it out. When you remove the spark plug and ride around for a bit all that is doing is drying off spark plug. If you let out the clutch with the sparkplug out then you are clearing excess gasoline out of the motor.

Norm can probably figure this out in a jiffy. But to help, what color is the tip of your spark plug when you take it out? Brown and dryish? Or maybe closer to black and very gunky/wet with oil and fuel? Is it the stock sparkplug? Also, Be careful if you are removing the sparkplug when the engine is hot. I think every member of this board would advise against it as you can very easily strip the aluminum threading.

It sounds like an odd problem. If you do have the stock sparkplug then I'd put my money on that being the criminal here. But I'm not very experienced compared to other people here

Last edited:

RyserGuyser

Sep 1, 2011
College Park, MD
I've tried applying the choke at all different times, it doesn't seem to do much.

Also to clarify, when I take the spark plug out, I ride it around and engage the motor, so the engine actually turns over and such.

The tip of the spark plug is definitely wet/gunky. I wouldn't say brown, closer to black. And yes, it's the spark plug that came with the motor.

I do not know the difference between NT and CNS! haha but there is only one wire coming out of it, the wire that goes straight to the throttle mounted on the handlebars

Thanks for the assistance!! It is MUCH appreciated

Ryan

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
It's the NT carb then. Which is fine. What is your gas : oil ratio? But if you can, take your spark plug with you and stop by a store that sells 2 stroke equipment like say sears and see if they have any NGK spark plugs with the same dimensions. I have found that most auto stores don't carry the type of spark plugs our engines use. So I got mine off of amazon. But some other stores may still carry them.

RyserGuyser

Sep 1, 2011
College Park, MD
You think it may be a problem with the spark plug??

And the ratio I used was what was recommended for the "run in" I don't exactly remember, but i think it was 16:1, or something like that.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
16:1 is no good. Change it to 24:1 for break in and 32:1 after a few tanks. This is used by many people. Give or take some depending on your preferance if you decide to experiment. To much oil is. You can find many threads and most if not all agree that 16:1 is to heavy on the oil. It also makes it much more difficult for combustion to occur. It should remedy the situation but I still suggest getting an NGK spark plug.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm looking for advice on getting/keeping my motor running, here's the explanation:

So basically, when I get myself going on the bike and engage the clutch, the motor engages and rumbles, but with no power output. Like the engine turns over only because the momentum from the bike turns it. There is no power in return.

Someone once suggested I take the spark plug out and ride it around to "reset the pressure inside the engine" or something ... and that works!!! If I take the plug out and ride it for 30 - 60 seconds, then put the spark plug back in, it fires right up no sweat and runs beautifully!

The problem though, is that I have to do that EVERY TIME if I want the bike to work. If I leave it sit cold for even 5 min, the engine will go back to that lame rumble with no power output next time try I try to fire it up.

If I ride continuously with the motor, kill it, and fire it back up shortly afterwards, it still works great! Again, if it sits around for 5 minutes though, then I'm back to square one....

Suggestions, diagnoses, advice!? I'm open to anything!!!

Thanks,
Ryan
Are you using the choke when engine is warm? That will flood it sometimes and foul a plug. Once the engine has warmed up, the choke is not needed usually.

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
you are turning off the choke right after it starts right?or at least halfway off for a minute for to warm up?
if the choke is on the engine wont go very fast.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Maybe I can help here...

Sounds like your motor is flooding. When you pull the plug and ride around a bit you are not "resetting pressure", you are clearing the excess gas out of the combustion chamber which gets the motor back into a condition where it will run. (The motor will not have compression when the plug is out, so it will turn over very easily. Make sure you do not allow the spark or any flame to get near the spark plug hole when you do this or you could start a fire)

That should explain WHAT is happening, now you need to figure out WHY.

My first thought is perhaps you are not turning off the fuel petcock on the gas tank when you are done riding, and fuel seeps into the cylinder and floods you out. If that's the case then try turning off the fuel valve when your not riding and see if that helps.

If that is not the case then you most likely need to look at what is going on with your carb. Your float could be set too high causing the flooding, or your needle valve could be stuck, or the whole thing could be set too rich.

That's the best stab in the dark I can do with the information I have, hope it helps....

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Also, do you turn your gas off from the tank? If not, you will have too much gas (flooding) the carb. Turn the gas off, and put a little choke on. It should start right up every time

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
If taking off the plug helps "reset it" could there maybe be a problem like a too tight throttle line/too high idle speed that is flooding the engine? Taking off the plug would push around the air, evaporating the fuel, allowing the engine to start up(when you put the spark plug and wire back on). When you are riding it does the bike push you along a lot without any throttle? I have never heard of this happening and I am pretty new but thought I would share my thinking.

Good luck

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd agree with Nightcruiser and some others, it sounds like too much juice in your jug. Raising the c-clip a notch on the pin in the throttle should reduce how much you're drawing. The fuel mix also sounds a little thick, 24:1 should help.