Money Keeps Going Out

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I took my Jeep in to the shop to have bushing in the upper control arms replaced. Its a 2005 Jeep Liberty 4X4. I got a call from they...they have to pull the engine! It seems the mounting point for the arms is rusted out. Gotta love salt air! Well, its going to cost me $1,700 to get it fixed. They have to cut out the rusted stuff and weld in some new plate. If nothing goes wrong I'll have it back Friday afternoon. If something does go wrong they will have it all weekend.

I was planning on leaving for Harlan, KY Thursday morning. There are about 20 other Jeep Libertys meeting for a weekend of trail riding. It doesn't look good!

Terry

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Terry,
Here's my Jeep story: Our 97 Cherokee developed a noise that sounded to me like rear wheel bearing. I drove it, swerved slightly from left to right to see if I could tell which side but the noise didn't change. I really didn't want to get into the job so I dropped the Cherokee off at a 4 wheel drive shop and had them check it.
"Yep, your wheel bearings are gone" the mechanic told me. $250.00 they quoted to replace them. That seemed too high so I declined the repair and brought the car home. I still wasn't convinced that what I was hearing was a bearing noise so I started investigating. What did I find? The tail pipe bracket was vibrating against the frame mount. There's a rubber bushing but the bracket had slid allowing a metal to metal contact. I loosened the clamp, slid it forward an inch and, presto. My "wheel bearing" noise was gone. Ya just can't trust anyone anymore.
Tom

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I know what you mean. I thought it was my front axles going out again. It was the same noise. Turns out it would have been cheaper if it was the axles.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
UPDATE: Bad news! Every bolt is rusted/corroded. They are having a very tough time getting anything off. It looks like Monday afternoon at the earliest. The only good thing is they are not going to charge me for the extra time spent trying to get things apart. But the weekend in KY is toast! That really upsets me. This is an annual event, so I'm out until next years event!

Terry

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sorry to hear that. Nothing like planning all year to be at an event and your screwed at the last moment.
At least the fellas working on it are being reasonable and not charging you the world.

I bought a 1969 Jeep Commando for my brother when I was in the U.S. visiting two summers ago.It had to have a out of province inspection and it needed a license plate light replaced.
They ran a wire from the left tail light under the tail gate and up to the license plate that is in the middle of the rear mounted spare. Maybe 3 feet of wire and 20 minutes work including adding the light.
The cost was $375. Story was they sent it to the electrical shop and that's what they charged.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Sorry to hear that. Nothing like planning all year to be at an event and your screwed at the last moment.
At least the fellas working on it are being reasonable and not charging you the world.

I bought a 1969 Jeep Commando for my brother when I was in the U.S. visiting two summers ago.It had to have a out of province inspection and it needed a license plate light replaced.
They ran a wire from the left tail light under the tail gate and up to the license plate that is in the middle of the rear mounted spare. Maybe 3 feet of wire and 20 minutes work including adding the light.
The cost was $375. Story was they sent it to the electrical shop and that's what they charged.

Steve.
$375!?! Holy Cats! But I could have done the same, charged you $20, bought beer with the rest, and had a relaxing afternoon. (I guess owning a few lemons in my time taught me a thing or two, that and I'm pretty cheap.)