What can you use to make an intake gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
On my way home from class, I noticed that the engine was idling higher than usual. By the time I got home, it was smoking a bit. I immediately shut it down, and I discovered that there is a hole in the intake gasket spraying gasoline all over the cooling fins!

Does anyone have a suggestion on how and what to replace the gasket with? I've heard cereal boxes make acceptable gaskets. :p

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a roll of gasket maker...it's only a few bucks and way better then any cereal box.
:ride2:

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i used a scrap piece from the edge of a 350 chevy engine gasket set. i have a bunch of hotrod stuff horded around. it worked fine, better than the one supplied cause it doesn't soak up as much gas mix as the china one. it was made from the same stuff fairraicing21 suggested above.

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
sorry to resurface this thread but i have a question

is blue rtv gasket stuff the same as rtv silicone sealant (the stuff u use to seal cdi wires and magneto from rain/water) because i would like to save some money and only have to buy one thing... i am limited in my funds, so im trying to spend as little i can

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Any good gasket sealer will do the job. Permatex makes several different types. Just tell the parts counter guy what you're doing and he'll guide you to the right product. I agree with Joe too. Gaskets should be made from gasket material...not cereal boxes or envelopes. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Jus' to be different... ;)

Pressed for time and w/o any gasket material left, I made my last intake gasket out of the back of a leather work glove - don't laugh, leather used to be used for gaskets quite frequently...

pre 1930's that is lol :p

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Any good gasket sealer will do the job. Permatex makes several different types. Just tell the parts counter guy what you're doing and he'll guide you to the right product. I agree with Joe too. Gaskets should be made from gasket material...not cereal boxes or envelopes. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again.
Tom
I'm with these guys. Gasket material is cheap enough and MADE for this job. Please eat the Wheaties yourself, they're not so good for your bike. :)

playbiker

Sep 5, 2013
Manila, Philippines
Three bond gasket maker doesnt hurt much of your pocket. Its around php130.00 or more. It makes a good gasket. Been using this many times and it always does its purpose.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've used thick aluminum roasting pans from the dollar store to make head and exhaust gaskets. Should work on intake as well.
Keep in mind, the REAL gasket material is better if you can afford it.