i am new to this thing and have a motor question/

GoldenMotor.com

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm Jeff From Bend oregon. My girl just got a Bare Bones (spookytooth) Bike with the 80cc engine. We are only about one tank of gas into the break in. Now the bike runs really good but it seems to jerk a little bit when i throttle up like its bogging down. after running it a bit it still does it but then when i get on it for a sec the motor seems to stop doing it and then it seems to sorta ""plain out if you will"" and sounds really good. when i back off a bit it wants to jerk a little bit and kinda bog again. I hope i am explaing this right...maybe this has happened to one of you. I was thinking about trying to move the needle in the carb up or down a notch to see if it works. not really sure on witch way to go. It was tuned before shipping in Tuson Az. I live in Bend Oregon at about 3200 feet above sae level. what should i do? of is this normal during the break in? thanks, Jeff
p.s. The spooky tooth bike i wanted was out of stock for like a few months so i bought a bad ass beach cruiser and ordered the 80cc motor kit to put in it. I shouls be getting it around the 29th. I cant wait. i'll just ride hers till mine shows up....(c)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Start with the clip second from the top. If it still runs bad, or that's where it is, move the clip down one first. (this will make it richer). If it's way worse move it to the top slot.

Reason would have it that you'd want to go leaner (top slot) but if you are already lean for some reason, and you go leaner first, you risk smoking the engine.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome jf to the forum, glad you joined us :D Look's like GodFather has helped you out... Roland builds some nice bike's, they are very busy over there and have a long wait list....I was told they had to hire many new mechanic's just to catch up and keep up with demand

I think the elevation here in Tucson is just over 2,000ft but not positive
:ride:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the site. i would also start with moving the carb clip. glad to have you with us and hope you enjoy your motorized bicycle

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. I live in Texas at about 3200' elevation and I run my clip in the middle slot. But all of these motorized bicycle engines are just a little bit different. Glad you joined us..........................

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
well i did move the clip to the top notch. it sounds better and not really boggy anymore. cavitating was the word i was looking for. I am running Amsoil at 20 to 1 just like spooky tooth told me to. so since i did move the clip up a notch, will i be hurting the moter at all? it really did smooth it out. jeff

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If it runs better you did the right thing don't worry about it just ride and enjoy your bike. Good to have you with us/.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
32-40:1 would reduce pollution from the engine and not affect engine if running Amsoil or any quality 2 stroke oil. Give your engine time, it'll surprise you how much better it runs after several hundred miles.