Brand New

GoldenMotor.com

Bandana Man

Jun 13, 2008
Hello ALL,
Am new to the 'biking circuit' and need some advice! I'd like to start biking to work, GO GREEN...and save some money. My trip to work is about 25miles; my training rides are up to 16mi. I'd like to install a motor on my bike, but do not know if I should put one on my ten speed or my mountain bike. Also, I have no clue as to where to obtain a motor...ebay, or a company...if so, which company? Am looking for low cost and efficiancy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
In good health, Michael

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. Your amongst some the greatest motorized bicycle enthusiasts in the world. As far as which bike, use the one you are most comfortable riding. Lots of places to buy the engine kits. Just google bicycle engines. Thatsdax has a great reputation and is one of the sponsors of this site. Glad you joined us...................................

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the site. my first motorized bicycle was also for comuting to work. i tried pedaling and would sweat and smell by the time i got thier lol so i went for a bicycle motor and a great decision it was. they are fun and you can always shut down the motor and pedal if you like. i got my last motor from thatsdax and i am very happy with not only the motor but him being around to answer questions and help when needed. glad to have you with us

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum :D Use the bike you like the most I would say. I got my kit from King's motor bike and have been very happy. I've heard nothing but good thing's from ThatsDax.
:ride:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Hello ALL,
Am new to the 'biking circuit' and need some advice! I'd like to start biking to work, GO GREEN...and save some money. My trip to work is about 25miles; my training rides are up to 16mi. I'd like to install a motor on my bike, but do not know if I should put one on my ten speed or my mountain bike. Also, I have no clue as to where to obtain a motor...ebay, or a company...if so, which company? Am looking for low cost and efficiancy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
In good health, Michael
Low cost and efficiency....hmmm....that would be a well tuned 2 stroke. OTOH, some headaches, learning and work to get it there. 4 stroke kits are now becoming more popular as well. Noise is always a factor.

Frame or rack mount??? Rack is easier to install by the looks of it, but usually smaller engines, higher up. Frame mounts are more configurable, more power, with the center of gravity safely lower. Also with a frame mounted in a geared bike you can install a jackshaft kit to use your existing gearing rather than a bolt on one speed sprocket.

You don't state your location, but are you talking hilly, city, or?? I would consider a 25 mile commute pretty darn long. Fun on a bike, but lots of planning involved.....tons of good advice on prepping here.

I would do the mountain bike. By nature, they are more heavy duty. I would advise you to learn a lot before making a decision - after safety the next most important step will be your mechanical ability. A 2-stroke frame mount kit to really make it right requires the ability (or chums!) to port the engine manifolds to match, to tune the engine. Once set up you'll be loving it.