EZM "Q"-matic production started

GoldenMotor.com

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
We researched the majority of the current drive systems and found them based on poor engineering and poor quality control. Many are based around clutches designed for other uses such as roto tillers, edgers, weed eaters, etc.
Actually all the 2 and 4 stroke chinese kits I've seen use Hilliard type clones which are go-kart type and much larger than the weed wacker clutches on my friction builds.

more importantly it won't damage the crankshaft of the motor [because it isn't installed on the motor].
So there is a toothless belt setup from motor to clutch and another chain based system to output sprocket?

Another major advantage to the Q-Matic is the high "pass thru rate". Many current drive systems consume a large amount of power, and when starting with 2 HP you can't afford to give up much.
Those experienced with Ultralight powerplants (Rotax, 2si, etc.) agree that gearboxes are most efficient, followed by chain, toothed belts, and least efficient, toothless. Are you saying your setup is different?

The Q-Matic can use completely different drive ratios to increase gas mileage, run the motor at a lower RPM to increase the motor life as compared to other companies.
Aren't your ratio options the same as changing rear sprocket on a chinese kit?

I'd also like to know what arrangement you have with your dealers. Do they pay full price for the units or is there a special deal?

Hi Xlite,

I have seen a bunch of different clutches on the motors and none are even close to the quality or performance of the MaxTorque unit. I have a large collection of failed and broken clutches and the problems are varied.

Our decision to use the front belt drive was based on actual tests and although gear drive may be better for many applications, having it made in the USA was not cost effective. Sadly HD went to rear belt drive over chain, hope they know chain was rated higher in the pecking order [LOL]. And the track record for current MB gear drives speaks for itself. In fact the latest 4 stroke kits are now converting to use either belt or chain drive for the primary and have given up on the gear drive concept.

Our ratio changes are not based on the difficult task of replacing the rear chain sprocket, although changing the rear sprocket adds more options. The ratio changes are based on special drive pulley sizes and will be available in .05" size ranges.

Authorized dealer prices are not MSRP.

Hope this answers your questions.

Have fun,

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I have seen a bunch of different clutches on the motors and none are even close to the quality or performance of the MaxTorque unit.
I have a MaxTorque (not for bike) and agree it's head and shoulders above anything that comes with a chinese kit. Bigger, heavy duty, and stronger joins. A different animal actually.

These cheapies though are significantly bigger and heavier duty than wacker clutches.

In fact the latest 4 stroke kits are now converting to use either belt or chain drive for the primary and have given up on the gear drive concept.
Apparently most "upgrades" Rick Shi, Motorboys, et al talk about involve switch to helical teeth and not so radical redesign. Linnix13 seems to be having great luck with this having now put hundreds of miles on his bike with no clutch failure.

Our ratio changes are not based on the difficult task of replacing the rear chain sprocket, although changing the rear sprocket adds more options.
I agree, having done quite a few myself, swapping and aligning that rear sprocket is a pain. By far most time consuming part of an initial install too. Changing a pulley sounds much easier.

I now have a better picture of your product and giving serious consideration should the units I have fail. I might suggest dialing it back a bit though. Others have been turned off by the hyperbole and over-patriotic sales pitch too. You obviously have a superior product and I hate to see it go unappreciated as a result of over enthusiastic marketing. From the description so far the "EZ" can stand on it's actual merits. Looking forward to more positive reviews.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
I believe that EZMotorbike will be very successful because it outperforms the other products. I have had the opportunity to ride both the manual clutch and Q-Matic versions at the second annual Lewes, DE rally, and both rode very smooth (less vibration than 2 stroke) and had more throttle response. They will last longer, and require much less maintenence than other kits. Another good point is that they are silent and you don't hear that whine that the chinese kits are known for. At the Lebanon, PA rally, jbcruisin changed his ratio on his EZMotorbike in about 10-15 minutes with basic tools and it made a big difference on the road. If I ever build another MB, I will be getting a EZM even though they cost a few extra bucks because I will not have to worry about breaking down miles from home and having to walk home (not fun), which I had to do a few times with my chinese 2 stroke Schwinn Stingray chopper

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Forgive my ignorance, but this EZM Q-Matic, is this an engine kit or just the transmission for a 4-stroke of our choosing?

I've read this thread 3 times and still haven't a clue. I also went to the ezm website and didn't get a clue there either.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
The Q-Matic is a transmission (or drive system) that is designed to fit a number of 4-stroke engines. It is also available with the HuaSheng 142 engine in a kit.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
Hey Jay, I remember you saying you just ordered a Q-matic for your bike. Are you replacing your current manual drive for the Q-matic, or are you building a whole new bike for it? Just wondering, because I may be interested in buying your manual drive if you don't plan on keeping it. I already have a spare gas tank, sprocket, throttle, hardware, etc, everything but an engine, and bike.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I'm just replacing the drive. I hate to do it because my manual runs great! But I can't afford to build a whole new bike right now. The Q matic is the newest drive the EZ Company has, so I thought I should have it since I'm selling them. I'm keeping the manual for a future build. I think you can still buy just the manual drive.
Jay

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I upgraded to the Q-Matic for the same reason...
if I sell it, I should have first hand experience with it :)
I am NOT a salesman (don't like 'em much, nor do I have 'the gift of gab', ie: not good at BS ;)), so...
I ride what I sell all over town, and let my product sell itself !!!

4300+ miles on my engine (800+ on the stretch, 1700+ on the Q-Matic) (^)

Hi Bill & Jay,

Stopped working yesterday and rode my EZM [60 miles]. Stopped working today and rode my EZM [65 miles].

Just replaced my speedometer for the third time. First speedometer had 1458 miles and all were on the EZM "Silent Power" drive system. When I installed the Q-Matic I put on a new speedometer [original was jumping around], when I replaced it yesterday it had 2574 miles [the speedometer had little parts dancing inside it]. I just put 125 miles on the third speedometer. Therefore 1458 miles on the manual EZM drive, 2699 miles on the Q-matic drive and still going strong. The 2 earlier speedometers were Whizzer units and had 50 MPH top speed, however the newest version isn't a Whizzer unit and only registers 40 MPH. Whoops! It appears my EZM goes faster than the speedometer [don't tell anyone, LOL].

I also upgraded my Q-Matic in the process to version #5. I still had the original Q-Matic proto-type and changed the main plate to the new space age aluminum version. In the process I also upgraded the bearing carriers, drive belt, and idler arm, so that I too was riding the exact same drive as I have been selling [yes I have been selling kits to many in my area].

Production version #5 uses a special belt [thanks to Goodyear, Dayton, Gates, & Carlisle engineering departments] and the ratios are slightly altered for quicker take-off and also found the top end increased a little. Due to research and a few suggested changes we found it possible to increase the power transfer rate up to 98% and I think it is the reason for the slight increase in top speed.

Have fun,