Crack in exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

Carson2000

Oct 25, 2015
California
So I was taking my bike out for a little ride and when I came back home I noticed a crack in the exhaust just below where it mounts to the engine. I was wondering what made this happen and kind of confused. It's a aftermarket expansion chamber exhaust pipe.

Attachments

Carson2000

Oct 25, 2015
California
How is the rest of the exhaust supported? It could just have been a bad weld.
That could be a factor. What do you mean when you say how the rest of the exhaust is supported? From what i see there is a weld that goes around on to the mounting plate on the exhaust.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I mean is the exhaust pipe supported by only the two studs on the motor or is the pipe attached to the bike somewhere. On a side note the crack can be fixed by taking it to a muffler shop or someone else who knows how to weld.

Carson2000

Oct 25, 2015
California
I mean is the exhaust pipe supported by only the two studs on the motor or is the pipe attached to the bike somewhere. On a side note the crack can be fixed by taking it to a muffler shop or someone else who knows how to weld.
Yea it's only supported by the two studs. And yes I thought welding would be the fix and i do know some people who could weld it for me.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Its not the weight its the vibration, I too had a pipe break at the flange. That's why I have a second mount. The more things you Mount solid the less vibration you will have.

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Its not the weight its the vibration, I too had a pipe break at the flange. That's why I have a second mount. The more things you Mount solid the less vibration you will have.
Ding ding ding!!

We have the winner.

FYI, car exhaust will do the same if not supported properly.