Chain problems

GoldenMotor.com

Anthonyb

Aug 18, 2015
Florida
Hello, My son and I built a motorized bicycle and the back wheel doesn't move, My son says he can hear it happening under the base plate where the chain goes in the engine. When I look at the chain sprocket on the engine it seems to be getting caught on the base plate itself, I tried to ride it and I disengaged the clutch and fell over, I caught the bike though. Please help me out. :-||

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Pull your right side cover and see if the drive gear and clutch are properly meshed. Is this a new Engine? My other thought is to look at your drive sprocket to see if the teeth on it have worn to the point where the chain doesn't lay down properly. I've had an issue where the small drive sprocket teeth simply wear out.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I checked and the screws aren't stripped, Anything else that could be happening?
He said ignore the stripped screw parts. The topic is about the binding of the chain underneath that cover where the clutch cable attaches to. What you need to do is look underneath that cover either by taking it off or looking with a flashlight underneath it and see if the chain has binded up underneath.

Anthonyb

Aug 18, 2015
Florida
It is a brand new engine, It popped off the chain a few times but now the problem is when i disengage the clutch slowly it turns over the engine but doesnt start and then the tentioner quickly jams into the spokes even though i tighten it really tight.

Anthonyb

Aug 18, 2015
Florida
Pull your right side cover and see if the drive gear and clutch are properly meshed. Is this a new Engine? My other thought is to look at your drive sprocket to see if the teeth on it have worn to the point where the chain doesn't lay down properly. I've had an issue where the small drive sprocket teeth simply wear out.
It is a brand new engine they teeth don't looked bad, I try to disengage clutch while driving the bike stops short because the tensioner quickly goes into the tire, and sometimes the chain will pop off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your problem is probably one of the most common ever discussed on this forum. There are many pages available to read on the infamous 'chain tensioner' and its associated problems.

Usually the problem is based on chain tension, chain/sprocket alignment and how the tensioner bracket is attached to the bike frame.

The kit bracket must be bent/twisted to get the tensioner wheel to align with the chain path (centerline). As it comes in the kit the wheel will be at an angle to the chain.

You must also be aware of the importance of having both the drive and driven sprockets aligned and the chain properly tensioned. You're looking for 1/2" to 3/4" of slack in the chain. Too loose and it will bind up on the drive (engine) sprocket. If the chain and sprockets aren't in alignment the chain will derail (come off the sprockets) resulting in the problems you're having.

Take a look here> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...ch#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Chain Tensioner&gsc.page=1
Do some reading and let us know if any of this information helps.

You can buy a new engine but if you don't address the chain problem you'll be back to square one with it too. I don't believe there is anything wrong with your current engine.

Tom

Last edited: