Evolution of rust; a bear naked Coupe De Ville.

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ok so some pix from the bench.

Lube..... don't leave home without it!

This is the "pacesetter" upgrade.
Re assembly of a ezm q-matic belt drive. Upgraded to a 5" cast iron pulley from the 5" aluminum on the standard ezm.

Big thanks to Wizzkid for making a metal template for drilling holes for mounting the transmission at an off angle. While the template fits this G35 Honda it also fits Briggs, and all of the other popular, larger engines. Keep in mind that the ezm was designed around the 49cc HS engine.

See how nicely the plate scored for the new holes to be drilled!

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
LR,
Coming along nicely. I was wondering why you switched from the aluminum pulley to the cast iron one. Wear? Or is there something about a flywheel effect from the heavier pulley?

I'm contemplating an upgrade in power on my American Flyer (50 Schwinn Panther) which is running a 99cc Predator engine with Qmatic transmission. Since it is pushing a sidecar I'd like more power and would like to use a 147cc Jacobsen 2 stroke mated to the Qmatic. The transmission should handle the increased power... I'm hoping. What do you think? Maybe I should switch over to a CVT for the upgrade and sell the Qmatic. Any opinion?
SB

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
LR,
Coming along nicely. I was wondering why you switched from the aluminum pulley to the cast iron one. Wear? Or is there something about a flywheel effect from the heavier pulley?

I'm contemplating an upgrade in power on my American Flyer (50 Schwinn Panther) which is running a 99cc Predator engine with Qmatic transmission. Since it is pushing a sidecar I'd like more power and would like to use a 147cc Jacobsen 2 stroke mated to the Qmatic. The transmission should handle the increased power... I'm hoping. What do you think? Maybe I should switch over to a CVT for the upgrade and sell the Qmatic. Any opinion?
SB
As I understand it with the pacesetter model its the old body in motion tends to stay in motion and that the weight of the cast iron balances the weight of the clutch that is hanging on the other side, this balance provides a much smoother ride, Especially I am told if you use the pacesetter with belt sheve to the rear tire no chains at all even less vibrations

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
I would think Silverbear that a 147cc two stroke would throw a CVT just fine. If your needing power to get the sidecar moving I would think a 2 stroke and CVT would be a hill climber wheel stander

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Interesting that you mention switching from final chain drive to sheave as I have been considering that. I'll decide on which transmission to use after I'm done with the current "kindalikeawhizzer" build which is running a 200cc 5 horse Tecumseh with a CVT and belt final drive to sheave. My first all belt drive build, so I'm anxious to see how it rides. By all accounts it is supposed to be smoother and also quieter. If enough of a difference then I'll make the switch while upgrading the American Flyer as well. First things first however. Thanks for your input. Carry on with your excellent project...
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
12g front all steel wheel arrived. Setup for a disk.

Be clear this is a HD 100% steel wheel and hub for an ISO disk. I have chosen a quality disk.

A special front wheel design in steel with 12g spokes ordered and landed by Lynn of

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/

A Big THANKYOU Lynn for getting this done and making it available to the MB community; this is one awesome front wheel design!
Lynn is a quality vendor & extremely competent. That said I love this build. I want to be the first kid in my neighborhood to own a Caddy...Coupe De Ville! The frame, tins & springer on this bike are so vintage awesome... and it's motorized!!! Rick C.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Well I changed the tires, here is a sneak peak of just the front. Also, the front is actually mounted correctly the disk works wheel spins free.

Tire is amazing on this build!

That chain guard looks amazing against the new parts!

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Not only does the chain guard look old with the new tire (of nice old big white wall), but something else caught me.

There was probably not made for bikes back then the use of disk brakes. I though know those brake work really good and water does not get as close to them being up higher than rim brakes.

You always make exciting great looking builds with style!

MT

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Coming right along. Seems like most of us like the old motorcycle look. Some start with brand new machines and work like the devil trying to make them look old and authentic, worrying about things like disc brakes being "modern" and not vintage enough. But if you want a vintage look for real, start out with a vintage bike and go from there, forgetting about old time looks and just follow your instincts and personal likes and inclinations. Mix it up if need be. Who cares if the SMP pedal cranks are "modern" or if it has disc brakes? Form follows function. What you're doing in the first place is making a motorbike that goes "vroom", gets you where you're going and stops when it needs to. Those are things I consider on my own builds and what I see in this one of yours. As Tinsmith would say with a slight nod after a long and appreciative stare, "I concur".
SB