drag bike

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No such thing as organized drag racing motorcycles back in the board track days, but a very cool idea if you can pull it off....
Clubman bars, a layback seatpost with a hairpin Brooks and a ten foot wheelie bar...
Huge KX or KTM pipe pointing at the sky.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
When you say Drag, I see a long laydown chassis and a low hooked seat with a skinny front and a HUGE rear. Big wide rim and tire from a motorcycle would look GREAT with a tiny 20" front...

Look at this guys feet and imagine a small crank back there for the proper seating position...
Slap some insane watercooled KTM or COBRA engine and a big fat pipe and you could make this look with the anus to back it up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just food for thought but if you stay true to the looks and design of a drag bike you'll be dealing with steering geometry that is meant for straightaway running only and not for curves or sharp turns. Fun, if all you do is long straight streets but curvy trails can be a challenge. Ask me how I know. :)

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A guy on this site (or the other one?) built a drag bike from a 1970s Schwinn Stingray with a China girl in the frame and a big slick on the rear 20" wheel, I wanted it.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I built a bike for the race track and like Tom said the geometry takes into play. The bike was hard to ride on the track and was a hand full, as a drag bike it did real good. Pick and chose your design carefully.
That does not look too radical at all compared to a true drag frame.
I'm guessing it was a wallowing pig in the curves from the long wheelbase?
But even a full on drag setup surely would not be any worse to ride than those horrible bent springers....
Some folks care more about looks than performance, a problem you CLEARLY do not share. :)
I like the blend of the frame you drew jazz, I say go for it.
Make it WAY over powered and it's hard to go wrong with a straight line killer.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
ccc

is it principally the stretched wheel base that throws off the steering capability and if so what have you found to be the ideal wheel base for steering/manageable bike frames???

I am sure many interested persons are following this thread

ride safe

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good reading, Mr.B. Anyone planning to build their own frame or modifying theirs should read the information offered there.
Thanks for posting the link.

Tom

TomSimon

Oct 29, 2014
Brentwood
I think I get what you are going for... If 1/4 mile dragracing existed in 1920, someone took Boardtrack motorcycle and purpose built it for dragracing... Laid back steer tube angle, springer front end, wheelie bars... I'm liking the concept :)

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
from the looks of it, you have plenty of room in there for an xr50 motor... they are stock with a 4 speed gearbox... they have a direct swap 125 on ebay for bout $265ish... they come in both auto or 3up 1down... add a nice fat back tire and you'll have all the nut you need... and it would be 4 stroke...

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Looks like a Roadmaster frame would be a good start.
Just cut and change the rake on the neck and add a bigger loop.

Last edited: