How to secure your bike if you forget your lock

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My older son needed to ride his bike to school but didn't have a lock. He took a pair of hand cuffs and locked it to the fence. A retired highway patrolman had given the cuffs to my younger son.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm always astounded when, in the morning, I'm walking past the bike rack out front of the building where I work, and somebody has locked just the front wheel of their bike to the rack.
Then I go out for a walk on my lunch break, and only the wheel is there.

Our Field Team uses bikes and locks and are given a kind of procedure about them. The bikes already have had all quick-release connectors replaced with nuts and bolts (because we've had wheels and seats stolen). The Team members are given decently high-end, rather long and thick, cables with keyed padlocks. They're told about what kind of secure objects they are permitted to lock to, and how to run the cable through both wheels and the frame. There's probably more rules than just that, but I'm not on the Field Team so I don't know them all.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'll just have to find the photo I took of a bike locked up. If you saw the tiny lock and chain you would think what? The chain was the bicycles chain in place where it should be on both sprockets. Then the lock went between two links. I suppose that was supposed to be seen, barley I think. If you tried to have the bike pedal the crank around, you would mash the sprocket and chain with the lock obscuring one of the links when it came around to either sprocket.

The bike was not looking like it was worth much, so maybe the guy did not care and it was a way to poke fun?

MT