Looking for advice (first bike build)

GoldenMotor.com

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
Ok. Feels much smoother with the 24:1. Now my issue is that I am getting a top speed of 20mph. The info says this engine should be getting 35mph stock

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Don't worry about the speed it will come, most engines will start running much better after the break in period. It took about 250 to 300 miles and my first bike took off like I flipped a switch. If its running fairly good and its ridable that what you need to do , RIDE!

Last edited:

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
Its been a while but I just wanted to stop by and update you guys on where I am at. I have been riding my bike to work. 14 mile round trip. Overall, it feels pretty darn smooth. Can get some serious vibrations going at high rpm but I suppose that is to be expected. Working through my second gallon of gas and I would say I am getting around 100 mpg, maybe a bit less, so not too shabby. Right now, I am trying to figure out where a squeak is coming from. Seems to only happen when I have the clutch pulled in and the bike is rolling or I am peddling. Hopefully I can isolate that issue and knock it out.

I plan on riding it somewhere cool here in Austin and taking some pictures. So I will post those as soon as I have them.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It was a pleasure reading this thread. You asked sensible questions, expressed appreciation for the good advice you were given and have come to a happy resolution. What could be better? Welcome to the forum. On one of these threads in the future you will be the one giving advice...
SB

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
Thank you, silverbear! Everyone has been super helpful and has made my first build much easier. I used to work for a video game development company (Blizzard Entertainment) and play a lot of video games. So, I am used to seeing forums as a place for people to complain and express their discontent with things. This is a welcome change of pace in that regard. I would be willing to venture that this is likely the best and most helpful forum on the Internet.... lol. Seriously though. You guys have been great. Can't wait to share more builds with you!

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
Alright. So I can see this being an issue in the near future.

For my build I went with the Micargi Stealth frame. However, the dimensions of the frame do not allow the engine to be mounted with the stock kit. As such, I had to purchase the JNM Super-Mount to allow the engine to be mounted and clear the pedal sprocket. In order to prevent vibrations and motor movement I tightened the engine down, which cracked the mounts. Reading the one review I could find for these things online, that guy had the exact same issue, resulting in the mounts completely cracking and falling off the bike. Followed by the engine falling off in motion.

I want to build and sell my bikes and these mounts are not going to cut it if they continue cracking. I need some suggestions for alternate mounting methods. Preferably some good premade mounts that will reach long enough to get to the tube and be wide enough to comfortably fit the tube. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Alright. So I can see this being an issue in the near future.

For my build I went with the Micargi Stealth frame. However, the dimensions of the frame do not allow the engine to be mounted with the stock kit. As such, I had to purchase the JNM Super-Mount to allow the engine to be mounted and clear the pedal sprocket. In order to prevent vibrations and motor movement I tightened the engine down, which cracked the mounts. Reading the one review I could find for these things online, that guy had the exact same issue, resulting in the mounts completely cracking and falling off the bike. Followed by the engine falling off in motion.

I want to build and sell my bikes and these mounts are not going to cut it if they continue cracking. I need some suggestions for alternate mounting methods. Preferably some good premade mounts that will reach long enough to get to the tube and be wide enough to comfortably fit the tube. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Not being familiar with the frame or the mounting kit, I had to google it...

The mount kit.. are those rubber blocks? If so, you'll find mixed opinions here about rubber. There are some good ideas here. Do a search of the site for "hockey puck" and you'll come up with some solid looking mounting ideas.

For my cruiser's frame I had to get a little creative to get the engine above the cranks so I extended the front mount when I replaced the mounting studs. I used a spare mounting block and cut it to the width that I needed. Just before bolting it all together I applied a liberal amount of JB Weld where the cut block meets the uncut one then smoothes it all out around the edges where it squeezed out.

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
I just called up bikeberry to tell them about the cracked JNM super mount and they are going to allow me to return it and are going to ship me another. When I was setting down to remove the engine to get to the mounts, I noticed the back mount was already fully broken off on the bottom side. If I return these, I envision the exact same thing happening with the next pair I get. To get the engine sitting without any play, you have to tighten it down. When I tighten it down, the mounts crack.

So, what I am thinking as an alternative is this front mount http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=85

And a DRILLED 2"INCH MOTOR MOUNT LIFT KIT WITH 8.8 GRADE BOLTS from Custom motored bicycles to extend the rear.
http://www.custommotoredbicycles.co...ts_universal_mounting_clamps_aluminum_spacers

What do you guys think?

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
I saw that your last activity was 5/3.. Just in case, I will give you my opinion. Never had a problem with the mounts cracking. Per alot of members advice is get a Torque Wrench. It will save you all the hassle of taking off or replacing broken pieces. Search the forum for proper torque settings to all your bolts and nuts. That extended looking mount- did it come with longer studs or whats the deal with that? For my bikeberry standard mount bracket I just replaced the nuts with locnuts and slapped em on.. the motor only shifted once cause i didnt tighten the front mount down enough. Also, I tightened the rear mount first. The standard mounts dont have a lot of tightening left after you hand-tighten(alot may vary but not to where the tightening never seems to end) which might mean your just overtorquing your nuts.. JUst my opinion, IF it works great! have a good one

Last edited:

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
It's not the regular mounts that come with the kit. They are called jnm super mounts and they are pieces of hard rubber. You can find them on bikeberry if you want to see a picture. I ended up going with the manic mechanics front mount. It worked perfect! Now I don't need a back mount. However, my muffler tip fell off and the bike is currently too loud to ride. I am saving some money to purchase an expansion chamber.

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
Your cap fell off huh. Doesnt surprise me. I got my 2nd motor through them and my first ran fine and never had any issues. The "new" one i have just blew a mag side oil seal so shes down for now. Also I upgraded my tensioner to one off ebay(I found it through this forum--type in chain adjuster i think) which features a machined piece of aluminum with a skateboard wheel(not like B.Berrys'). I bought a hub adapter to fit it nice though it was a pain to get just right.. Havent had any issues in that area since.. MY 2 CENTS Thanks and have a good day.

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
I know the exact tensioner you are talking about. Looks nice, was thinking about grabbing one myself. I'm positively going to grab one of the hub adapters from manic mechanics. As soon as I get paid on the 1st, it's going down lol

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
Thats good to hear.. the tensioner makes it easier to pedal and is quiet. I found a clamshell adapter on ebay that works well. Def. wanna try a 3bolt one like ManicMechanic which is going on my next build .